Thursday, December 30, 2010

Num Pang Visited 12/29/10 4 Forks

Num Pang 21 E 12th St, (between 5th Ave & University Pl), New York, NY 10003

 Having just returned from Cambodia and falling in love with the country, I was eager to seek out what sort of Cambodian restaurants existed in New York (although really the cuisine there was fairly generic South East Asian fare).  Num Pang has actually been on my list for places to try for a while because I love Vietnamese sandwiches and when I had heard about this place I was very curious. 
When I got to the place Aarti was already waiting outside and from the outside the place looked kind of dumpy.  I was curious why Aarti was waiting outside in the cold, but I slowly realized that there is no place to really stand (at least on the first level).  When you open the door you essentially walk right into the kitchen, so you have to know exactly what you are going to order before walking in.  I got the pepercorn catfish sandwich and Aarti got the cauliflower sandwich ($7.50 each).  They do have a very small seating area upstairs (which you get to via a narrow winding staircase) and once upstairs there are only about 6-7 stools and a high counter, so definitely don't go to this place thinking you can have a real sit down meal.  Luckily we got there so early that we had the whole place to ourselves so we could spread out and talk as loudly as we wanted to.
Ok, to the sandwich...it was really good and it reminded me of this place called Xie Xie that used to be in Hell's Kitchen (and was owned by Angela Sosa, a current contestant on Top Chef).  While I don't recall seeing or having any sandwiches while I was in Cambodia, that didn't really deter me from enjoying my food.  The bread was very soft, which a bit of toasty crunch on top, and very similar to a Vietnamese sandwich it comes with cucumbers, thinly sliced carrots, mayo, spices and cilantro.  The catfish was seasoned well and cooked well...I just would have preferred a thicker piece of catfish...it was a bit on the thin side.  They also had a variety of other really good sounding sandwiches there that I would gladly go back and try.  The only downside is that this place is cash only.

No comments: