Thursday, December 30, 2010

Salaam Bombay Visited 12/22/10 3.75 Forks

Salaam Bombay 319 Greenwich St, (between Reade St & Duane St), New York, NY 10013

 Now that Aarti has "retired" from work, we thought that it would be fun if we met up for a nice long lunch before we left for the holidays.  Luckily work is very slow the week of x-mas so I was able to take off two hours for one of our favorite styles of food: Indian Lunch Buffet!  The best way to have many types of Asian food is buffet style because you want to be able to try many different dishes...just having 1 main dish just isn't satisfying, so having food buffet style is just perfect.  There are two Indian lunch options by my office: Taj Tribeca and Salaam Bombay.  I had been to Taj before and it's about $18 while Salaam was only $14, so I figured I might as well try Salaam out and see what it's like. 
It was extremely packed when we by the time we got there already (around 12:15).  The restaurant is quite nice inside and much fancier looking than I thought.  I don't remember all the different dishes that were in the buffet line but it was pretty extensive.  I remember there was a lightly battered chicken dish, paneer, chicken tikka, an eggplant dish, samosas, and basically every kind of Indian food you would normally order at an Indian restaurant. They give us fresh, soft naan bread at the table (you can see them making it in this room in front of you) to help sop up all the fattening, but yummy sauces.  I had about  1 1/2 plates before I was completely full.  All in all, it was a great Indian lunch buffet for $14.  The one downside was that it took forever for us to pay the bill.  We had our credit cards sticking out of the bill holder for at least 15 minutes before I had to practically shove it in someone's face to take it.   We are hoping to make it monthly lunch date going forward.  

No comments: