Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Porsena Visited 2/9/2011 3.75 Forks

Porsena 21 E 7th St., (between Cooper Sq & Taras Shevchenko Pl), New York, NY 10003

Porchetta has been on my list for a while but somehow I never made it there. So why when the chef opened a pasta restaurant I decided to go before it, is still a bit of a mystery to me. Apparently I seem to be on an Italian kick because this is the 2nd Italian restaurant I've been to in 2 months, which is quite a streak for me.  This 2nd Italian outing was good but not quite as good as my meal at Osteria Morini.  

Nancy and I were able to snag a reservation at 6:45pm on a Wednesday,  which is a bit on the early side but surprisingly the restaurant was pretty packed by then.  The menu is actually fairly simple: about 8 appetizers, 8 different pastas, and 3 main entrees.  Nancy and I decided to share everything since we both didn't think we could polish off one bowl of one type of pasta ourselves.  We got the crostini with mozzarella ($8), the lamb sausage pasta ($17) and the roasted roasted cauliflower pasta ($15).  At first I didn't think this would be enough food, but now that it's been a few hours later, it was totally enough food.  The crostini comes out and it's basically large piece of soft on the inside, crusty on the outside bread covered in melted, bubbly mozzarella.  It was pretty good but kind of looked like something I could have made at home.  Next came the 2 different pastas...I personally don't like my pasta too al dente, which is know is probably sacrilege.  I thought the pasta could have been cooked a bit more but Nancy thought the texture was just right.  The spicy lamb dish came with large ring/tube shaped pasta and it was indeed spicy! But my lessons in Thailand have better equipped in these situations.  But the sauce was very creamy super flavorful and was nicely combined with wilted greens.  The roasted cauliflower dish came with penne pasta, small cut up cauliflower, capers, olives, and toasted breadcrumbs.  I normally don't like olives and capers but I didn't hate this dish...it felt "healthy" even though the bowl was definitely a bit oily at the bottom.  By the end, we were both so full that we couldn't even consider dessert. 

The service was good and attentive.  The waitress was pretty knowledgeable and didn't make us feel bad when we didn't order wine or dessert and sat after we paid the bill for a bit longer than we should.  Total bill was $21 per person without tip.

No comments: