Sunday, May 29, 2011

Banjara Visited 5/28/2011 4 Forks

Banjara 97 1st Ave., New York, NY 10003

Now that I've decided to stop rating with quarter stars, you'll probably see me giving more and more restaurants 4 stars where as in the past I might have given them 3.75 forks.  Banjara is one of those places.  Don't get me wrong, I did rally enjoy my meal but on some level giving it 4 stars is a bit off compared to the other 4 fork ratings I've given.  


It's been a while since I've had Indian food but it's definitely one of my favorite type of food.  It's always got lots and lots of flavor and it's just one of those genres of foods that's great to share with a large group of people.  This place is smack in the middle of Curry Row on 6th street, right next to those crazy places drenched in x-mas lights.  I have passed by it lots of times but never actually eaten there.  Luckily, we were able to snag a table outside on a nice long weekend night but we were seated next to an apartment building where someone was clearly having a party, so lots of annoying hipsters kept ringing the doorbell and yelling while we were eating. So that was kind of a bummer. If you want to eat outside, I would suggest not sitting on the 6th street side, but on the 1st Ave side.


We started with the Aloor Chop ($5), which was potato cake, chick peas, and onions.  I'm not sure what I was expect but it literally came out as 2 dark brown patties.  I didn't think it would come out as a "cake" although that's what is said on the menu.  But despite it's unappealing visual, it was quite tasty.  It wasn't overly starchy which is what you would think when something has potato and chick peas.  Next we shared the Sharabi Kababi ($16), the Bay Goon Ka Goon ($10, and the matar paneer ($11).  The Bay Goon Ka Goon was described as whole eggplant with onions and tomatoes.  Again, I wasn't sure what I was thinking...I guess I thought it would come out as a whole eggplant, but it came out like a smashed/mashed up eggplant.  Some people don't like the consistency of eggplant and I can see why, but I really enjoyed this dish.  It had a nice rich flavor without the smokey flavor that most people associate with eggplant.  The matar paneer was basically tons of butter and cream tossed with peas and cheese. I mean who can you NOT love something like that? Mixed with rice and naan, it's really one great tasting dish.  The Sharabi Kababi was described as pieces of chicken marinated in wine and cream sauce but when it came out it was not saucy at all.  You could definitely taste the wine and cream but I thought that not only would it be marinated in it but it would be served with it.  It came out as 5 large grilled pieces of chicken.  The chicken kind of looked dry at first glance but it was quite tender.   It was hard to see the sauce on the chicken but you could see it more on the veggies.  It was served with large pieces of broccoli, cauliflower, onion and tomato.  I wish the veggies were cut up smaller because they were literally huge chunks that were hard to eat.  What I love about Indian food is that you can sample a bunch of different dishes and mix them up and eat them together and it all still tastes great.  This isn't a fancy place like Junoon but it's not a grimy place like some of the other Indian places in the city.  It's a great mid-level place at very affordable prices.  The total bill for all that food plus naan and a beer was $23/pp.  

No comments: