Saturday, May 28, 2011

Smorgasburg Visited 5/28 4 forks

Smorgasburg 27 North Sixth Street (between Kent Ave & the East River), Williamsburg, Brooklyn

So I am a big sucker for food markets.  I go to them even when I am on vacation in a new city, so I was thrilled when the founders of Brooklyn Flea opened up Smorgasburg in Williamsburg.  It features tons of food vendors in one place by the water.  They are open every Saturday from 9-5pm, but I would suggest getting there early as we got there by noon and there were tons of people there already.

Dan and I took a quick walk around and settled first on the BLT sandwich from Landhous.  They only have 1 thing on the menu, the BLT (duh).  It's 2 very thick cuts of bacon with seasoned lettuce, tomato, and herb mayo on toasted french bread ($5).  Just looking at the bacon made me hungry.  It was a delicious sandwich but very messy to eat.  I thought the bread was over toasted which made it a bit dry but the bacon and herb mayo more than made up for it.  Right next door to it was Kings Crumb, which sold biscuits, fried egg, and gravy ($9).  This was absolutely insane.  The gravy was amazing and the biscuit was warm and buttery.  It was a bit crumbly and the sandwich did kind of fall apart while I was eating but we ended up just taking a spoon and scooping up all the goodness that fell out. By then I was dying of thirst and got a fresh organic ginger tea at ThrisTea ($5).  Honestly, I thought it was super overpriced for just ginger water and tapioca balls.  After that we went for mini cupcakes at Kumquat cupcakes.  I got a red velvet and Dan got a chocolate one ($3 for both).  They were the perfect bite size cupcake but when they are that small, it's hard to really judge the taste.  When though by then we were totally full, I still wanted to get one more item.  There was Shorty Tang's cold sesame noodles, but given that I can make that at home, I couldn't justify paying money for it.  There was Red Hook Lobster Rolls, but I've had that many times before.  I was tempted by the tacos and pupusas but I've gotten them at the Ball Park before.  So I settled on the crepe ($11) at Queen's Dahn Tu.  Apparently the owner had a restaurant in Greenpoint and then took off and traveled to Vietnam and has now returned with re-newed vigor.  The crepe came with shrimp, pork, bean sprouts and you wrap it in lettuce with mint and basil and dip it in fish sauce.  It was a very refreshing taste especially with the mint and basil but the lettuce was a bit soggy and should have been bigger to help with the wrapping.  I thought that $11 was a bit too much (everything else in the market was $10 or less) and especially if she had traveled to Vietnam and eaten this food on the street, she should know that it shouldn't be sold for that much.  The market is a great new addition to the neighborhood.  I hope that they rotate the vendors more often so give it some more variety.  But even if they don't there are still lots of great eats to go around.

No comments: