Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Ha Noi Visited 6/12/2011 2.5 Forks

Ha Noi 448 Ninth St., Brooklyn, NY 11215

I had lived in Park Slope for 10 years and had prayed everyday that a good Vietnamese place would move into the 'hood.  Well, just as I leave, Ha Noi moves in 4 blocks away from my old apartment, but luckily the food isn't something I would have cried over.  It's a decent addition to the neighborhood and considering that there are only Vietnamese sandwich shops nearby, it's a nice change to have a full Vietnamese menu.

The decor is pretty simple but clean.  The menu has your usual offering of spring and summer rolls, pho, bun and other Asian noodle like dishes.   We ordered the vegetable summer rolls to share and I got the beef pho ($8) while Dan got the pho with beef balls.  I was impressed with the freshness of the bean sprouts and basil that came out for the pho, so I had high hopes that the rest of the food would be authentic tasting.  The summer rolls came out and they were totally bland.  The skin was too thick and the only thing inside it was a bunch of cold noodles with a few bits of lettuce and a giant chunk of cucumber.  It really needed some flavor to it...generally summer rolls have a fresh taste to it that this was missing. It could have used some cilantro, mint or basil and other herbs that are usually found in a summer roll.  The peanut sauce it was served with was also too peanut butter tasting.  It was very thick and literally tasted like peanut butter from a jar that was mixed with soy sauce.

Fortunately, the pho was slightly better tasting. The broth was pretty flavorful and I thought it had the right amount of noodles.  My one complaint was that the beef wasn't tender enough. It was definitely sliced thin enough but it had a slight tough texture to it.  Beef for pho should be extremely tender and melt in your mouth.  Dan thought his pho was too oily tasting which I could see.

Overall, this place was ok.  Definitely not a place I would go out of my way to return to, but if I still lived in Park Slope would consider going back every now and then if I was just too lazy to go into the city for pho. Total bill was $36 total (not including tip), which now when I come to think of it, I have no idea why it came out to be that expensive for what we got!

No comments: