Saturday, June 18, 2011

Fatty Cue Visited 6/17/11 3 Forks

Fatty Cue 91 S 6th St., (between Wythe Ave & Berry St), Brooklyn, NY 11211

 Fatty Cue was one of last year's hottest openings.  Given that I live in Williamsburg, everyone has asked me if I have eaten there yet but I have purposely stayed away from it because I hadn't heard really great things about it during its first couple of weeks.  People had told me the portions were small and the food was expensive, two things that I hate about a restaurant. 

When Dan came home with $100 of "free" money, we were racking our brain of where to eat.  Last time this happened, we went to Marlow and Sons and loved it.  We wanted to go somewhere nice-ish that we wouldn't normally eat at, so Fatty Cue immediately popped into my head.  Strangely enough Fatty Cue is located steps from Marlow and Sons as well.  For some reason I had always envisioned Fatty Cue to be a much larger restaurant mostly because any place that usually sells BBQ or smoked meats needs a larger kitchen.  But this place was fairly small...from the outside it looked like a regular bar. 


The menu was also a bit smaller than I thought but I had no problem finding enough dishes that I wanted to try.  Our waiter was great and one of more personable waiters I've encountered in a long time.  He suggested 1-2 large dishes and 2-3 small dishes/sides.  Dan and I got the Coriander Bacon ($14), Heritage Pork Ribs ($12) and Fingerling Potatoes ($9) to start and then shared the Lamb Shoulder ($19).  The bacon came out fairly quickly and it was fatty delicious goodness.  It was served with these small pieces of toast and a steam yellow curry custard.  Dan mentioned that it tasted like a hot dog but I think he meant it in a good way.  These pieces were thick cut and paired well with the curry.  Next came the ribs and there were 2 of them.  But they were huge and came with a tasty fish-palm syrup BBQ sauce on it.  They were pretty tasty but I had a bit more trouble getting the meat off the bone than Dan did.  His rib was almost perfectly clean at the end but mine still had bits and pieces of meat on it that was hard to get off.   Next came the fingerling potatoes which I thought was kind of weird to come out as its own dish since it was a side dish. I thought it would have been better to have been served with the lamb shoulder.   The potatoes were served in a crab butter sauce and black pepper.  It wasn't the potatoes that were good but the crab butter. It must have been made with 5-6 sticks of butter, which was why it was so freakin good and the black pepper was a good compliment to it. 


Then we waited and waited and waited for the lamb shoulder to come out.  Luckily we were pretty full from the bacon and ribs so we didn't have major hunger pains.  But it was nice that our waiter acknowledged the waiter and said that he would give us free pie as a result of it.  By the time the lamb came out, I was really excited to eat it.  It was served with a goat yogurt and house made pita.  The pita was actually really tasty but you couldn't open them to put the lamb in between it.  But the lamb was juicy and succulent and tasted great with the yogurt.  We then waited a bit for the free pie and I honestly didn't need it, but when it came out I was glad we had it.  We got the strawberry and rhubarb pie and it was served with fresh cream on the side.  I thought it was really refreshing and while I was pretty full, I did really enjoy it.

All in all I thought that the food actually was really good.  But the reason for the 3 forks was that it was definitely over priced. Our total bill (with 2 cocktails) was $104 (with tip), which is totally ridiculous for the size of the dishes we ate.  It's a shame because the food is definitely worth going back for, but not at those prices.  They need to come down about $5 a dish for it to really be something I would come back to with any regular basis. 



No comments: