Monday, June 20, 2011

Saltie Visited 6/18/2011 4 Forks

Saltie 378 Metropolitan Ave., (at Havemeyer St), Brooklyn, NY 11211


I can't believe I've lived this close to Saltie and only just went there this past weekend.  These sandwiches were AMAZING even though they totally sound weird and potentially gross.  I got the Ships Biscuit ($9) and the Spanish Armada ($10) because they sounded the least bizarre.  The Ships Biscuit came with soft scrambled egg and ricotta on a giant salted (get it? Saltie...salted) foccacia bread.  The egg was perfectly cooked (soft, wet and yolky) and the ricotta was a perfect combination.  But it was the soft salted bread that really just made the sandwich so different from any other sandwich I've had.  The Spanish Armada came with a potato tortilla and aoli mayo on the same salted bread.  When I finished both of these sandwiches I was already craving another one.  I can't put my finger on the exact reason they were amazing, but it was just the right combination and the use of really fresh tasting ingredients.  They also had a delicious sounding beet salad with goat cheese and bib lettuce but at $9 and the fact that it was still breakfast time, it didn't seem right to order it at that moment. But if they have it next time I go during lunch or dinner, I'm all over it.

The rest of the sandwiches just sound plain weird: for example, the Scuttlebutt had egg, cauliflower, pickles, feta, black olives, capers and aoli.  I can name 3 things that I absolutely hate on that list, but that's the kind of sandwich they are famous for.  Ordinarily, I would never come near this sandwich but at Saltie, I'm willing to give it a try.  The reasons why this place doesn't get 5 stars are: cash only, no place to sit, and closes early (6pm).  Otherwise, I would have been really close to giving this place at least a 4.5 rating.  

No comments: