Thursday, July 7, 2011

Annapurna Visited 7/3/2011 4 Forks

Annapurna 2608 W Devon Ave., Chicago, IL 60659

 Now this is what I'm talking about.  At my core, I just love really good cheap ethnic food. For as many years I've been going to Chicago, I've never been to Devon Street, which is the heart of the Indian community.  I went with Aarti to get some sari blouses tailored and ended up just walking around the street.  After a long hot day, we had worked up an appetite, despite eating only 3 hours ago. 

Annapurna is one of Aarti's favorite places on Devon and I can see why.  The decor is basically a fast food restaurant type place, which is fine by me if you're going for cheap eats. We got samosas, chaat, and Pav Bhaji (all of which Aarti ordered for us).  The samosas were delicious...not too heavy on the dough and fairly moist on the inside.  The chaat was served with these small flaky chip like creations and it was served on top of yogurt, cilantro, chickpeas and a spicy/tangy mixture.  It was sweet, sour, spicy, crunchy and cooling all at once.  I had never had it before, but it was amazing and wanted to more of it.  It was also helpful as a cooling agent when I ate the pav bhaji.  Pav bhaji is basically an Indian version of a sloppy joe.  It's served with this spicy veggie mixture, cilantro, onion and then it's served on a buttery, toasted hamburger bun.  It was fabulous and addictive.  Simple design, complex flavors.  Despite being spicy, I couldn't stop eating the veggie mixture.  At one point, I just poured the yogurt chaat on top of the veggie mixture and ate them together, otherwise my mouth would have just died from the spiciness.  I was so glad that I finally got to try a cheap good eats place on Devon because I had heard so much about it.  And the other fabulous thing was that all our food (2 orders of samosas, 1 chaat and 2 orders of pav bhaji) was $14.  Holy crap that's some serious cheap eats.

No comments: