Sunday, July 10, 2011

Coast Sushi Visited 7/3/2011 3.5 Forks

Coast Sushi 2045 N Damen Ave., Chicago, IL 60647

It has been years since I've been to a sushi restaurant in Chicago so I was pretty excited to give another sushi place a try.  Luckily, this place was within walking distance Deanna's place which was a nice plus.  Coast was definitely one of the more trendy fancy sushi places I've been to in a while...it's not your more local mom and pop place run by Japanese people. 


The inside was sleek and dark.  I almost felt like I wasn't dressed up enough.  Although it was pretty hot outside, it was almost too cold inside the restaurant.  I understand wanting to keep a sushi restaurant cold inside but this place felt like a meat locker.  It was also extremely dark that I felt like I could have fallen asleep at dinner at one point.  The restaurant is clearly more angled towards those on dates but that shouldn't deter you from going with your friends.  The menu had a nice variety of elegant sounding rolls and dishes.  The nice thing about the menu was that they had a specific vegetarian section which is great since it's already hard enough for vegetarians to find stuff to eat at a sushi restaurant.  I was this close to ordering my usual spicy salmon, spicy scallop and spicy tuna or yellowtail roll, but figured I should opt for something I usually don't get.  Deanna and I split the ginger salad ($5) for an appetizer.  While I got the chirashi ($23) and Deanna got 2 special vegetarian rolls.  Deanna also ordered a hot tea because it was so cold inside and you figured should come out pretty immediately.  But we waited and waited for it and the waitress made some comment how they were freshly brewing it.  Our salad came out before the hot tea, which is really just a bit ridiculous.  The salad was a basic mixed green salad with toasted sesame seeds with very very light dressing.  It was too light for me.  Normally I LOVE ginger dressing so I wished there was much more of it on the salad. 

When Deanna's tea finally did come out, it was lukewarm!  How is that possible? It was so baffling and instead Deanna just opted for a miso soup.  Miso soup came with my chirashi dish and the way they served it was in a large tea cup with no spoon.  I wished they had served it just with a bowl and spoon because it was a bit hard to sip the seaweed and tofu without a spoon.  Next the chirashi came out and it was quite lovely looking.  It had your usual line up of fish on a bed of tasty sushi grade rice.  The fish was definitely very fresh and clean tasting but my only complaint was that they pieces were a bit too small.  I know that the cuts of fish shouldn't be huge, but these could have been just a bit bigger to satisfy my hunger because at the end I was pouring soy sauce on my rice to fill me up.  Deanna's rolls were also pretty good and different than your standard cucumber avocado roll for vegetarians.  I can't remember what was in it exactly now, but they tried to make the rolls as fancy and exotic as possible without using fish.  Although one thing that did annoy me was that one of the rolls was gigantic..it was one of those type of rolls that unless you had Angelina Jolie's mouth, it just impossible to fit into 1 bite but then if you bit through it, the roll just ends up falling apart.    


Overall, it was a pleasant meal and it definitely felt like a nice night out on the town.  We did think that they would comp us for Deanna's miso soup since it took forever to get us her tea and then it was cold, but instead all they did was just charge us for the tea instead of the soup because it was cheaper.  Total bill $62 (including tax and tip).

No comments: