Sunday, July 10, 2011

Aria Wine Bar Visited 7/6/2011 3.5 Forks

Aria 117 Perry St., (between Hudson St & Greenwich St), New York, NY 10014

Aria is one of those places in the West Village that is just painfully cute.  I've actually walked past this place a few times before and always commented on its cuteness.  So I was pleased when my friend Holly suggested that we grab a drink at this place last Wednesday night.  Even on a Wednesday, this place was packed.  We were lucky to grab two bar stools by the window. 


The decor here is rustic charm, but I generally am not a huge fan of communal seating mostly because it doesn't give you much privacy and it makes for just a much louder setting.  The place is a wine bar and they serve tapas as well.  Their wine was actually fairly reasonably priced as I was able to get a good tasting malbec for $6/glass (although I am no wine snob so who knows if it was really a fine wine or not).  They had a fairly good selection of tapas, cheeses and meats.  But when our waiter read us the specials, we were hooked.  From the specials list we ordered the mushroom crostini, the bufala cheese and the mussels.  We should have asked how much the specials were, but since all the tapas on the menu were listed at $9, we assumed they would be in the same ball park.  Big mistake but to be discussed later.  The wine there is served in your not so traditional wine glasses.  In fact, they are served in these almost jam jar like cups, which I think was weird considering it wasn't a quirky hipster type place that usually serves drinks in mason jars.  


The mushroom crostini and bufala came out first.  The crostinis were pretty huge and toasted well.  They were covered in a variety of mushrooms and melted cheese and it was delicious.  Meanwhile the bufala was totally not what I expected because the plate was huge and came with a tomatoes and lots of prosciutto.  The cheese was really soft and and if you've had buffalo mozzarella before, it's got a different consistency that your typical mozzarella.  It's much wetter and falls apart much easier.  Taste-wise, the cheese, tomatoes and meat all went really well.  Everything was going well with our 1st two dishes and we continued to order more wine.  Then our mussels came out and it was a disappointment compared to the first two dishes.  The mussels were tiny and dry and the only redeeming quality of the dish was the garlic, white wine oil it was simmering in.  That part was so good that I was sopping up bottom of it with my bread, but as I was dipping my bread, that's when I noticed that our table was totally slanted and a bunch of oil dripped all over me because my plate was so tilted.  

Overall, this place is a great place if you want to grab some wine and small plate and just be surrounded by rustic cuteness.  But I was a bit put back when we got the bill and discovered that our bufala was $16 and the mussels were $14!!  If I had known that, I'm not sure I would have gotten them as those prices are much higher than the prices of all the other tapas on the menu.  Total bill was $48/pp with tax and tip but includes 3 glasses of wine each.   

No comments: