Monday, July 4, 2011

Girodano's Pizza Visited 7/1/2011 3 Forks

Girodano's 5990 W Dempster St., Morton Grove, IL 60053

When I think Chicago, I think deep dish pizza.  And I mean the real stuff, not the Uno's version they have in New York.  Every time I go back to Chicago (which is usually at least once a year), my first meal is usually a deep dish place.  I've been to Girodano's, Gino's, and Lou Malnati's and they are all pretty damn good. 


We ended up going to the Girodano's in the 'burbs this time around because my friend Soph was pregnant and we didn't want to stray too far from her house and it was also in honor of my best friend Aarti's bachelorette party and we knew that she prefers Girodano's to the other pizza places.  The last couple of times I've been to Chicago we used to go to Lou's and I really loved their pizza but I was totally open to re-visiting Girodano's since it had been a while.  We all split a greek salad and a large pizza with half cheese and half spinach and mushrooms. A greek salad is pretty hard to get wrong and the base veggies were fine but I wasn't a huge fan of the dressing...it was a bit too oil and vinegar tasting without a lot of other spices mixed in.  The pizza came out about 45 minutes later, which is pretty typical when you get deep dish pizza.  It's something that I have to get used to when ordering deep dish because they make it to order and by nature, it just takes a long time to cook in the oven. 

The pizza came out and to me, it looked like it could have been stuffed a bit more (even though CLEARLY there was tons of cheese and sauce in it already).  I did like the mixture of spinach and mushroom (two of my favorite vegetables) but the one issue was that whenever you cook spinach, water comes out and the water kind of made the rest of the pizza a bit soggy.  Don't get me wrong, I would definitely give any original Chicago deep dish place 5 forks, but this one experience was a notch below what I've had before.  It was still delicious, cheesey and saucy, but I just didn't love that there was all this water around it.  I think the crust could have also been a bit more buttery and flakey, but hey, it's probably better for me that it wasn't.  Another thing that I love about Chicago and deep dish is the price, each person paid $13 (split 3 ways) due to a 20% coupon that we had (and apparently they give away like water over there....so jealous).

No comments: