Monday, July 4, 2011

Longman and Eagle Visited 7/2/2011 4.5 Forks

Longman and Eagle 2657 N Kedzie Ave., Chicago, IL 60647

 Holy shit, this place caught me totally off guard.  Who knew this many hipsters could be found in one place in Chicago? And that this place also doubles as a hotel? But besides the ironic facial hair and tattoos, the food and whiskey selection here is top notch.  Deanna and I went for an early brunch (11 AMish on a Saturday) and there was already a 30 minute wait.  But luckily, 2 seats opened up at the bar and we decided to stay there and order food.  


Given that this is also a whiskey bar, the focus of the food is pretty Southern focused, so that means lots of pig dishes, hash, and grits.  But luckily for the vegetarians, they also have several delicious sounding vegetarian-only dishes.  I got the crab benedict ($13) and Deanna got the omelete with seasonal veggies (peas, ramps, and other fresh market veggies for $11).  The only downfall of sitting at the bar is that we didn't really have a dedicated waiter/waitress, we just had the bartender and he was too busy running around making drinks for others to be attentive.  Deanna wanted coffee and it took forever to get it served and they never really re-filled our water glasses.  But once the food came out, I could have cared less if we were just ignored for the rest of the meal.  The crab benedict was completely out of this world.  There was a good helping of fresh real crab meat (no filler) and it was covered in amazing hollandaise sauce with perfectly running poached eggs and soft english muffins.  It comes with crispy potatoes and these must have been some of the best potatoes I've had in a really long time.  They were crisp on the outside, but not burned and soft in the inside.  I have been trying to watch my cholesterol but screw that.  If licking my plate wasn't rude, I would have done that with this dish.  I recommend getting a fork full of everything in one bite to really get the best taste.  I had a small bite of Deanna's dish and it was also really well cooked and she raved about it as well...saying the veggies were really fresh tasting.  I saw other people's dishes and they also looked mouth-watering.  They really know how to cook an egg as I saw the duck egg hash and the eggs were the most picture perfect sunnyside eggs I have ever seen.  Next time, I will try sitting at an actual table to get more attentive service and I will most definitely be back for dinner and a whiskey flight. Total bill $50 for two.

No comments: