Sunday, September 18, 2011

Pinto Thai Visited 9/17/2011 4 Forks

Pinto Thai 118 Christopher St., (between Bleecker St & Bedford St), New York, NY 10014

This is going to another one of those reviews where I really loved my meal but my dining companion didn't love it as much so it makes me feel torn about what rating to give.  This is what happened at Fat Radish with me and Lav and it's what happened here at Pinto Thai with Aarti.  I really loved my crab fried rice dish and Aarti felt a bit lukewarm about her Tom Yam fried rice dish.

First things first, the decor of the place.  It's very very tiny but very very trendy and dark inside.  The menu has your traditional spring rolls, pad thai, and curries but they also have fusion thai dishes like lamb massaman, flat iron steak, and potato fries with chili mayo.  Aarti and I both ordered thai ice teas ($4/each) and a papaya salad ($7) to split and I got the crab fried rice in a young coconut ($14) and Aarti got the tom yam fried rice ($11).   When our thai ice teas came out we were both a bit dumbfounded.  It came out with an empty glass with 3-4 square ice cubes of frozen ice tea and then the actual ice team, sugar water, condensed milk on the side.  I had never seen it before and it was actually kind of cool.  Luckily the waiter had warned us to try the tea first without putting in the sugar water because the actual ice tea was incredibly sweet. 

The papaya salad was quite tasty and not really spicy at all.  The green beans in the salad were really fresh and crunchy and the best part of the salad. Otherwise, the rest of the salad was like your usual papaya salad.  When my crab fried rice came out I was also impressed with its artistic presentation.  It was filled to the brim with incredibly fresh and delicious crab meat and then really tasty fried rice inside a baked young coconut.  It was a bit hard to dig all the rice out of the coconut because the hole they cut at the top was a bit small but I definitely managed to every last bite of crab and rice.  As someone who is very picky about their crab meat, I definitely give the crab here two thumbs up.  While I didn't taste Aarti's dish, I did have a piece of her tofu and it was a bit too fried (aka hard) and she had also mentioned that the rice was a bit mushy.  It looks like they have a rotating seasonal menu and I would definitely come back here.  Hopefully the next time both me and whoever I am with will both have great meals instead of just 1 person.  Total bill without tip: $45 for 2.    


Photo credit: Yelp

No comments: