Thursday, December 22, 2011

The Dutch Visited 12/18/2011 2.5 Forks

The Dutch 131 Sullivan St., (between Prince St & Houston St), New York, NY 10012

The Dutch has been on several list as one of the hottest restaurant openings this year.  Visually, it is quite lovely.  It's spacious, airy, and has this general old fashion but still modern look to it.  The menu is your typical New American food, which generally isn't my favorite cuisine but I do like it for brunch which is when I went on Sunday.

There was no problem getting a seat for 2 at 11:30 on Sunday but it definitely started to get crowded while we were eating.  My first gripe with this place was that it took the waiter forever to come and take our order.  To his credit, he did stop by when we first sat down and VA and I were so busy talking that we didn't have a chance to look at the menu.  Fine, our bad.  But then our waiter basically disappeared for the next 15-20 minutes.  Finally we did get to order: I had the mushroom frittata with goat cheese and watercress ($16) and a side of sausage ($7), VA got the two fried eggs, grits and chorizo ($16) and a side of honey butter biscuits ($9) and applewood smoked bacon ($7) - clearly we were both starving at brunch.

All the food pretty much came out at the same time.  The reason I got the frittata was because I love mushroom and goat cheese.  So I was a bit disappointed that there was not enough of either.  I definitely had several bites where I had neither mushroom or goat cheese.  Plus the frittata was thin and dry.  It was almost like they overcooked an omelette in a frying pan instead of cooking it in a skillet to make it thick and fluffy.  I didn't try VA's dish but she did mention that the chorizo was too overpowering (I've always loved chorizo but do find that many places are a bit too heavy handed with it).  What was surprising, the star of the meal were the sides.  They were all delicious, especially the honey butter biscuits.  They were fluffy, buttery and sticky with honey.  They were served with sweet butter and strawberry jam.  I could have eaten the entire plate.  The sausage was also top notch.  The one piece was huge and cut in half and almost had this lightly toasted texture on the outside.  It was the least oily sausage I've ever had (and I'm usually a big sucker for greasy pieces of breakfast meat) but it was still yummy.  I had a bite of the bacon and it was smoky and covered in honey too and there were plenty of strips on the plate.  We should have just stuck to the sides!  We did see a lot of people order the fried chicken dish and it was huge! It came with 4 big pieces of chicken and biscuits and it looked amazing.  So maybe we just ordered the wrong thing here.

So the food overall wasn't terrible but what's knocked the review down a bit was the slow service and the high prices.  Not only did it take a long time to order, but it took foooorever to get our bill and pay it.  On one had it wasn't a big deal because it gave VA and I more time to chat without feeling pressure of being kicked out. But at some point, it would be nice to pay the bill!  I also knocked off 1/2 fork for the high prices.  Granted we did order a lot of food but $9 for biscuits and $7 for sausage?!  Our total bill with tip was $40/pp.

Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: