Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Nitehawk Cinema Visited 12/17/2011 3.5 Forks

Nitehawk Cinema 136 Metropolitan Ave., (between Wythe Ave & Berry St), Brooklyn, NY 11211

For those of you who live in Williamsburg you can understand the frustration of not having a movie theater in the neighborhood.  It's so ridiculous to think that you have to go into the city (granted Union Square is only 10-15 minutes away) to see a movie.  But luckily, Nitehawk Cinema opened up in the past year and it's a great and different alternative to seeing a movie in a regular theater.

Nitehawk takes dinner and a movie to a literal level.  Not only do they show movies but they also serve food and drinks while you watch the movie.  Genius!  Why hasn't anyone else thought of this before? You sit down at a seat that has a table and you write your order down on a piece of paper.  Then a "waiter" will come by and pick up your order and then you wait for your food and drinks to come while the movie starts.  They generally try to have "theme" foods for each movie (for example, I saw The Descendents and they had a Hawaiian Pulled Pork Sandwich on the menu) but they also have a regular menu that has snacks (prerequisite popcorn and nachos) and real food (sandwiches, burgers, salads, dessert and beer/cocktails).  I got the grilled chicken on  pretzel bread with fries ($13) and Aarti got the queso ($8) and greek salad ($10).  I wasn't sure how this was going to play out:  would people be loudly eating their food during the movie? Could I even see my food in the dark? Would the waitstaff be getting in the way of things?  Surprisingly the answer was no, yes, and no.  The waitstaff has pretty much gotten it down to a science of not getting in people's way.  But the big downfall for this was that we waited FOREVER for our food.  I mean the movie must have gone on for at least 45 minutes before we got our food and it was just sandwiches and salad!  They were apologetic about it but still frustrating because it's not like I could just get up and leave my seat.

When the food finally came, it was ok.  Actually, I did enjoy my sandwich but Aarti was pretty disappointed with the queso and salad.  The queso was bascially hot nacho cheese dip poured into a bowl served with chips.  It almost tasted like the velveeta cheese you get in the supermarket.  I didn't taste her salad but she said it was fine.  So I was a bit nervous about my sandwich but it actually tasted pretty good and it was super filling.  The pretzel bread tasted exactly like a warm soft pretzel and the chicken was grilled nicely and there were nice additions of tarragon mayo, melted cheese and lots of onions.  The fries were nice and crispy but were a bit over salted but I was so hungry at that point I didn't really care too much.  I also had a Six Point Sweet Action ($6) and a King Family Fortune Cocktail ($8) which was a delicious combination of vanilla vodka and pineapple juice.  

In the last 20 minutes the waters come around and drop off and pick up your checks so that when the movie is over you can just get up and leave.  All in all, I really enjoyed the experience and you don't have to order food if all you want is to enjoy the movie.  I would give the food 3 forks but the overall experience and innovation 4 forks, for a net score of 3.5 forks. :)

Photo Credit: Yelp 

No comments: