Monday, February 6, 2012

Highlands Visited 2/3/2012 3.5 Forks

Highlands 150 W 10th St., (between Greenwich Ave & Waverly Pl), New York, NY 10014

What do you normally think of when you think Scottish food? Hagis, right? Well, you can definitely get that here but you can also get other dishes that are much more appetizing.  I was a bit skeptical about Highlands at first but Virginia, Julie and I were able to piece together a pretty good meal on just appetizers alone and that might be my new strategy at a lot of restaurants going forward.

We pretty much ended up ordering almost everything off the appetizers section: the lamb and sausage roll ($11), the risotto ($10), roasted beet salad ($12), the squash and burrata cheese salad, the devils on horseback, and the charcuterie plate ($16).  They brought out the lamb roll, the 2 salads and the devils on horseback first.  The lamb roll was a delicious lamb and sausage combination stuffed into a croissant type roll and served with aioli mayo on the side.  The meat was quite juicy and tender on the inside and it was basically like eating a very fancy pig in a blanket.  The two salads were also super tasty and not what you think of at a Scottish restaurant.  I'm totally on a beet kick these days so whenever I see a beet salad on a menu I have to get it.  This one was served with red and golden beets, almonds, goat cheese and balsamic dressing over greens (so pretty much your typical beet salad).  This was just dressed really well and there is almost no way to go wrong when you combine beets and goat cheese in 1 dish.  The squash salad was also surprising good.  It had cooked butternut squash mixed with walnuts and burrata cheese over the same greens as the beet salad.  I usually like burrata cheese with tomatoes and basil but this combination was worked well and just gave off this warm, winter feel to it.  Devils on horseback is basically dates wrapped in bacon and covered in honey.  I usually don't like dates, but this just tasted like one big ball of sweetness, so what's not to like about it?  Had the meal stopped here, I would have been super happy and satisfied.  We totally went overboard with ordering the risotto and meat board.  Sadly, the risotto wasn't that great and the meal kind of took a turn for me here.  It was extremely salty, which completely overpowered the dish.  I can't remember the different types of meat we got with the meat platter but I was so full at that point that I couldn't really enjoy any of them, except for the jamon.  The other two meats were a bit too hard for me and didn't have too much taste for me.  What also turned me off to the meat platter a bit was the haggis bread.  I mean I haven't had real haggis before but if the bread was any indication of what it tastes like, I'll take a pass.

So of course even though we were totally full, we opt for dessert as well and got the sticky toffee pudding ($8).  This was basically almost a chocolate-like cake served with butterscotch sauce and vanilla ice cream.  The toffee wasn't as soft as a cake and the whole thing was just too sweet for me (coupled with the fact that I was so stuffed and 3 cocktails in).  The waitstaff was super nice and the place was totally packed by the time we left.  Before we actually sat down for dinner, VA and I sat at the bar for cocktails and I could see how this is a cute and cozy place for a few drinks.  Total bill including tax and tip $51/pp.

Photo credit: Yelp

No comments: