Monday, February 6, 2012

Petite Crevette Visited 2/3/2012 4.5 Forks

Petite Crevette 144 Union St., (between Columbia St & Hicks St), Brooklyn, NY 11231

I had always been a bit scared of Petite Crevette not because I thought the food would be bad, but I had read a story on a food blog once that someone returned their food and the chef/owner went ballistic on them and threw a lobster at them!  But luckily, I overcame my fear of flying seafood and when my friend Elissa wanted to go there on one of her "last outings" in Brooklyn, I couldn't pass up the opportunity. 


The location is totally out of the way (it's on the OTHER side of the BQE) and not very showy from the outside.  But once you're inside and taste the food, none of that matters.  It's super cozy inside and they have all their dishes written up brown paper that's taped up on the wall.  One nice thing about this place is that it's BYOB, so don't forget to bring a bottle of wine.  Everything on the menu looked and sounded totally amazing.  They had fried oysters, tuna carpaccio, crab corn chowder, mussels, tuna burgers, salmon burgers, a variety of whole fish, thai coconut curry with seafood, scallops, swordfish, cioppino with all sorts of seafood, and the list could go on and go.  Basically anything that you can think of that has seafood, they had it on the menu.  I decided to go simple and go the crab corn chowder ($8) and the salmon burger ($15).  The chowder was rich and creamy and the best part was that it was chock full of fresh crab meat.  Now as someone from MD, fresh crab meat means a whole lot to me, so I was pretty pleased with this dish.  At first I kind of regretted getting the salmon burger because it's so unoriginal, but once I bit into it, I was totally happy with my choice.  While it is a salmon patty, it was really a bunch of chopped up super fresh salmon (of sashimi quality) with very little filler on a toasted bun served with wasabi mayo, fries and a side salad.  It was almost like eating a bunch of salmon sushi on a bun, which may not sound appealing but believe me, it was delicious.  I was super full by the end of it, but totally wished that I had room to order more dishes because I rarely get to eat seafood this food and at such reasonable prices!  

Luckily no fish was thrown my way, but of course I didn't have anything wrong with my food.  Elissa got the tuna burger and also said that it was pretty amazing.  The only bummer is that this place is so out of the way and I'd really have to make a super effort to get there.  But part of the charm I think is because it's so tucked away that it's not bombard with your usual overflow of yuppies from Smith street.  The real bummer is that it's cash only, so remember to go to the ATM. Total bill $33/pp with tip and tax. 


Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: