Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Blue Ribbon Bakery Visited 3/10/2012 4 Forks

Blue Ribbon Bakery 35 Downing St., (between Bedford St & Varick St), New York, NY 10014

There are some restaurants that I have been to so many times that I forget if I've reviewed them or not.  I have been to all the Blue Ribbons (Bakery, the Soho and Brooklyn Restaurant, the one in Brooklyn Bowl, and the sushi in the city and Brooklyn) but somehow I have only reviewed the Brooklyn sushi outpost (which of all of the variations is the only one that's now closed).  Blue Ribbon Bakery was actually my first foray to the Blue Ribbon chain 10 years ago on a recommendation of a friend about their chocolate chip bread pudding.  And 10 years later, the bread pudding is still one of the best desserts ever!

Another great feature about this restaurant is that they are open late...very late, like 2AM late.  So the other night when Lav and I had a craving for dessert at 10pm on a Saturday night, Blue Ribbon was a no brainer.  Of course while we were there, we ended up ordering some other appetizers like the brussel sprouts, asparagus, hummus plate and cheese plate.  My one gripe about this place is that the dishes are all about $5 over priced.  Each of these dishes were about $10-$15, which frankly for a side of vegetables and hummus is a bit much.  However, all of the vegetables were cooked perfectly and were super crispy and seasoned well.  The hummus and cheese plate were fine, nothing special about them.  As for the bread pudding ($14.75), I would honestly pay whatever they wanted.  It's that good and I don't even like chocolate!  It's just super moist but not overly sweet and incredibly addictive.  

I'll keep this review short since we really just ate a bunch of sides and dessert, but all the food is of super high quality and the waitstaff incredibly sweet and friendly.  They bake their bread onsite downstairs and you can smell the waft of bread baking upstairs as well.  They just could stand to turn the prices down a smidge to really make it a true stand-out. 

Photo credit: Yelp

No comments: