Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Pinche Taqueria Visited 3/12/2012 3.5 Forks

Pinche Taqueria 333 Lafayette St., (between Bleecker St & Houston St), New York, NY 10012

I've actually walked past Pinche Taqueria many times before when I was walking from school to the F train.  But yet I've never stopped in.  This past week we had a field day at work (I know, how "hip" of us) and we just happened to be in the neighborhood.  However, we were given a mandate of only $10/pp for lunch, so that really limits your options in Soho.  So this was really the most logical option that was within walking distance.

This place is not really a restaurant but more of a take out-place with maybe 7-8 rickety tables.  The guy at the cashier was actually super nice and showed us the paper menu and walked us through it.  They had a lot of Mexican breakfast items (breakfast burritos, Chilaquiles, Huevos con Chorizon, etc), regular tacos, burritos, and combination platters.  I decided to try the fish tacos ($3.95 each) - which had lightly battered white fish (either mahi mahi or tilapia) and served with shredded cabbage, cilantro dressing and guacamole.  I only had enough budget for 2 tacos, which actually ended up being pretty filling.

I actually really enjoyed my meal even though I didn't have huge expectations for it.  The fish was tender, not over battered and pretty moist.  But most importantly I loved the cilantro dressing and guacamole.  I totally want to put it on everything that I eat now.  Every ingredient tasted super fresh and I could have imagined myself somewhere in California.  I didn't try anything else that my co-workers had (I mean, it's not like I'm eating with friends) but everyone else got burritos and they kind of looked a bit lacking but who knows.  I would definitely stop by here if I needed quick bite to eat or needed a mid-shopping snack while in SoHo.  I wish it was more of nicer set-up or restaurant style so that it was more inviting to sit for longer than 15 minutes while you quickly eat your food.

Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: