Sunday, April 8, 2012

Buttermilk Channel Visited 4/7/2012 3.5 Forks

Buttermilk Channel 524 Court St., (between Nelson St & Huntington St), Brooklyn, NY 11231

I had been to Buttermilk Channel many years ago when it first opened.  It didn't blow my mind but I thought that it was a solid joint.  Over the years it became more and more popular especially since famous people like Beyonce and Jay-Z have shown up multiple times. 


So I wasn't surprised when I showed up on a Saturday and the wait was quoted as 30-45 minutes.  Crazytown.  Luckily for us, a 2 top opened up at the bar in 15 minutes.  I ordered the breakfast scramble with house cured lox, green onion and cream cheese which came with hashbrown, toast, salad and your choice of juice, mimosa, bellini, or sparkling wine for $11, which is a pretty great deal.  I also ordered a side of bacon ($5) and the buttermilk biscuits ($4) which I split with my friend.  The scramble came out and it didn't look like what I was expecting.  The eggs were in a small bowl and the hashbrown was a small circular cut.  The eggs were moist and the combination of the green onion and salmon were great.  The cream cheese was really just used  for some light flavoring/texture as you couldn't really actually see the cream cheese in the dish.  I enjoyed the eggs a lot but unfortunately the hashbrown was overcooked and a bit burnt.  The side of bacon was huge, almost 5-6 slices in total.  Some were cooked perfectly crispy with some fat left on it and some were a bit overcooked and too dry but overall the bacon strips were a solid addition to my egg dish.   Meanwhile the biscuits were a bit on the heavy side.  They were very buttery and flakey...but almost too flakey.  The biscuits were so heavy that my friend and I could barely split just one together.   I was so full that I didn't eve get to try the toast or salad.


Overall, I still think Buttermilk Channel is a solid place to go for a meal.  But best brunch in Brooklyn and a 45 minute wait? Hmmm, not 100% sure on that.  However, the prices were super reasonable and it's in a great neighborhood of Brooklyn.  Total bill: $24/pp. 


Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: