Saturday, April 7, 2012

Mary's Fish Camp Visited 4/7/2012 4 Forks

Mary's Fish Camp 64 Charles St., (between 4th St & Bleecker St), New York, NY 10014

Ahhh, Mary's Fish Camp.  This was one of the first "nice" restaurants that I went to when I first moved to NYC and this was the first place where I ever had a lobster roll.  This is also the place where I waited almost 2 hours for a table and was about to get seated when Gwynneth Paltrow walked in and got seated right in front of me (this is only 1 of the many reasons why I find her super annoying).   I've always had a soft spot for this restaurant yet hadn't been back in a really long time.  Not because it wasn't good but because there are a whole slew of similar seafood places that offer similar and equally tasty dishes: Pearl Oyster Bar, Mermaid Inn/Oyster Bar, Ed's Chowder House, Red Hook Lobster Pound, etc.

Holly and I decided to come back here since it was Good Friday and she needed a place that had good veggie or seafood options.  No slight to all my vegetarian friends, but if those are my two choices, I will easily take seafood.  I got to Mary's at 6:20pm, exactly 20 minutes after they opened and they were already packed and the waiting list was 45-60 minutes!  Basically, you have to get there right when it opens or be prepared to wait at least an hour plus.  The main reason is because the restaurant can only fit 25 people max.  So Holly and I went around the corner to get a drink and came back around 7pm.  When I walked in this group of 3 that had been there when I first walked in was still there.  They looked at me and said "yes, we're still here and only 2 people have left since you left to get your drink."  Luckily, that first round of seating was starting to finish up their meal and all of us were seated within the next 15-20 minutes.

We were seated at the bar and quite frankly, I didn't really need to look at the menu.  Let's be honest, I knew I was getting the lobster roll ($32) who was I kidding? I did contemplate some other options and their specials did sound and look good, but I almost never get to have lobster rolls these days so I had to indulge.  We also split the fried oysters and clams ($11).  When the waitress took our order, she said "ah, this is what everyone orders."  Ok, so we're not super original, but who cares?  The fried oysters and clams were great, very light breaded but for some reason it was a bit hard to tell which were the oysters and which were the clams.  It should be pretty easy to tell the difference, but the pieces of seafood weren't huge, so I just made a guess that the ones that were more round and circular were the oysters.  Next came the lobster rolls and it was fabulous.  There were large delicious chunks of lobster (mostly from the tail and a few cuts of the claw) and they were put in a seriously buttery hot dog bun.  I will say that if you don't like mayo, stay away from this dish because it was definitely heavy on the mayo (but I don't mind that).  The one negative I would say about this dish is the fries.  They were just too thin for me as I tend to like thick cut fries better.  They also put a TON of fries on the plate to mask the fact that you're paying $30+ for a kind of small main dish.  Don't get me wrong, I loved the lobster roll but I definitely didn't walk out of there super full.

I'm amazed at how crazy packed this place is after all these years.  It's still a great place to go if you are a seafood lover and if you have the patience of priest.  When we left, they were quoting 2+ hours, and yet people were still waiting.  Just pray that Gwynneth does walk in when you're about to be seated.  Total bill: $74/pp with tax, tip and 2 glasses of wine each

Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: