Monday, April 2, 2012

Gravy Visited 4/1/2012 3 Forks

Gravy 32 E 21st St., (between Park Ave S & Broadway), New York, NY 10010

When you hear a name like Gravy, you obviously assume that it's all about heart stopping Southern-soul food.  While there were some very Southern dishes such as crawfish benedict, and a shrimp po'boy, I was rather surprised that they delegated a lot of the more Southern traditional dishes to side dishes such as biscuits and gravy, grits, and fried green tomatoes.  You'd think these would be big front and center dishes or that they would serve their main dishes with grits instead of potatoes or fries.

I ordered the Tasso Benedict ($15) which was served with tasso ham, arugula, and a chipotle hollandaise sauce.  Anyone who reads this blog knows that I jump at any chance to order a benedict, so I was torn between the crawfish and tasso benedict and for some reason I just couldn't picture crawfish being a great mix with eggs.  When some of the other gals ordered their dishes, they were told their dishes came with sides of fries or potatoes so I had kind of assumed that my dish would too.  But sadly it did not.  It was just the bendict and for $15 I was kind of hoping it be a bit more than that.  If I had known, I might have ordered a side of fried green tomatoes.  The bendict itself was was completely drenched in hollandaise sauce and I never thought I would say that there was such thing as too much hollandaise sauce, but this was really bordering on too much.  The eggs themselves were very runny and when mixed with the sauce, it literally made me feel like I was drinking cholesterol.  The ham was extremely small and was barely a 1/4 of the size of the English muffin.  If there's going to be ham with a benedict, it should be big enough so that you have enough of it with every bite.  Here there was barely enough ham for 2 bites. The arugula was tossed haphazardly on the dish like an afterthought and it was sitting in so much sauce that it was kind of soggy at first bite.  I didn't get to try anyone else's dish but 2 girls got the duck sandwich and they commented on how much duck was in the sandwich and a few of the girls did comment on liking the potatoes and fries that came with their food.

I think if you're going to be a Southern restaurant, you might as well go all out and be a Southern-heart-stopping-gut-expanding restaurant, which Gravy was not.  The space itself is nice and spacious, so it was a good choice for our big group of 7.  They also had a great deal of $16 for an entree and a brunch cocktail.  Total bill: $21/pp with tax and tip.

Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: