Friday, June 22, 2012

Cafe Mogador Visited 6/17/2012 4 Forks

Cafe Mogador 101 St Marks Pl., (between Avenue A & 1st Ave), New York, NY 10009


My friend Lav has been raving about Cafe Mogador for a while so I was super excited to try it for a birthday brunch (plus they had just opened one in Williamsburg, so if this one was good, I would be excited to try the one closer to home).  I had been told that they served one of the best eggs benedicts in the city and lord knows that I have been on a major hunt for a good benedict for a long time since 2nd Street Cafe closed. 


My first impression was that this place was bumpin.  It was incredibly crowded and overflowing with customers which is always a good sign.  Luckily the wait wasn't that bad (about 15 minutes).  I took one look at the menu and was super excited by it.  I love Mediterranean/Moroccan food and they had great sounding local dishes like hummus, kebob, falafel,  cous cous and tagines.  But the draw for me was the variety of benedicts.  They had regular eggs benedict, moroccan benedict, eggs normandy, eggs florentine, eggs champignon, and blackstone eggs.  I decided to go with my staple of eggs normandy (with smoked eggs) and it came with homefries, salad, orange juice and coffee for $14.   The orange juice was extremely fresh and refreshing and the coffee (I got iced) was strong but not bitter tasting.  When the benedict came out I had really high expectations.  It looked great, not too much sauce, the eggs looked poached well, the homefries were nice chunks of roasted red potatoes with rosemary and other herbs and a mescluan salad that was dressed well.  While these eggs didn't blow my mind out of the water, it is one of the better eggs benedict I've had in the city in a long time.  Everything was just right and I would say that it's a leading contender for best benedict so far.  One of the muffins was a bit hard but not as hard as the inedible ones I had at Tartine.  I was very impressed by the homefries, they weren't done any differently than other places but they just executed it really well and I cleaned the whole plate of potatoes and then had some of Lav's too.  What was also great about this place was the buzz and exciting feel of the place.  It was super crowded but not overwhelming and it was just so much fun to be there.  I am totally excited to try the one in Williamsburg, so who's with me?  Total bill: $18/pp.

Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: