Thursday, June 21, 2012

Goodwin Visited 6/16/2012 3 Forks

Goodwin 430 Hudson St., (between Leroy St & St Lukes Pl), New York, NY 10014


After a nice lazy Saturday Aarti and I really just wanted to get some snacks and some wine.  Granted it was 10pm on a Saturday but that's never stopped places in NYC from staying open and serving food.  The Goodwin had just opened around the block from her place so we decided to give it a try.  My first impression was that the back room was gorgeous.  It had this beautiful wood paneling and giant windows overlooking a lovely garden.  It was a very tranquil and peaceful setting.  

After perusing the menu, we did decide to share a bunch of small plates to nosh on.  We got the Green and Grain Salad ($10), the cheese board ($10), and the Caprese sandwich ($11) and I got a glass of rose.  The green and grain salad was a continuation on our kale salad kick.  This one came with kale, farro (hence the grain part), tomato, goat cheese, and cucumbers.  My main complaint was that this was way too heavy on the farro and dressing.  You could barely tell you were eating a salad because you could barely taste the kale.  But all I do love all those ingredients on their own, so I didn't mind too much but I just thought it wasn't necessarily a salad.  The kale salad we had at Tremont was much lighter and more refreshing.  The cheese board was fine I wasn't necessarily in love with the small sides of crusty bread, apples and spicy popcorn.  I guess I prefer softer breads with my cheeses and I did love the raw honey that came with the cheese plate at Parish Hall.  The caprese sandwich was pretty huge and it was served with a very healthy heaping of buratta cheese, tomatoes and a basil aioli.  The cheese was super rich and I'm really glad that we decided to split the sandwich because no one person should be eating that much cheese.  Overall, I did think the place was cute and a nice oasis away from a busy city life.  The menu was listed as a "preview" menu so I'm not sure if that means that some of the dishes will change or not, but it is a cute late night spot if you are in the 'hood.  I wouldn't necessarily say it's a destination restaurant but has the potential to be a nice local joint.  Total bill: $24/pp with tip and tax

Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: