Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Kati Roll Visited 6/16/2012 4 Forks

Kati Roll 99 MacDougal St., New York, NY 10012

I will make this review quick since Kati Roll is not really a restaurant, but since I try to blog about all things food, I had to include this place.  I had originally been to Kati Roll years and years ago (seriously, I think it's been over 5+ years at this point) when it was such a big deal.  At one point, they even had "bouncers" outside at night for the late night munchie crowd.

Despite being in the West Village and having great food, I just haven't had a chance to go back in many many years.  Aarti and I were walking around the neighborhood on a Saturday afteroon and was craving a legit snack, so I was thrilled when Aarti reminded me of this place.  It's a pretty tiny place with about 3 tables, so I wouldn't come here hoping to really sit down.  The concept of the food here is pretty simple:  spicy, flavorful mix of vegetables, or meat, or cheese wrapped in an India flat bread.  I chose the Unda Chicken roll ($6) on a roti (gotta love the cheap price).  The Unda Chicken roll was stuffed with chicken tikka, a layer of beaten eggs, lots of onion and spices on a whole-wheat roasted bread.  The guy behind the counter was a bit cranky and kept getting confused as to how many rolls I wanted, but he did eventually get it right. 

I forgot how freakin good these rolls are.  My roll was amazing and so filling for just $6.  The chicken was tender and juicy as it had been marinating in yogurt and spices.  Your whole mouth just tastes like a spice rack (and a whole onion) exploded in your mouth.  The layer of egg is a nice touch to keep things moist.  The reason I like the roti vs. the paratha (classic flat bread) is that the last time I had the classic flat bread it was oily and a bit too thick.  The roti is thinner and not as greasy.  This place is still a fabulous place for a quick afternoon snack or a midnight drunken outing.  Total bill: $11 for 2 rolls and a bottle of water.

Photo Credit: Yelp


No comments: