Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Ted's 355 Diner Visited 6/24/2012 2.5 Forks

Ted's 355 Diner 895 Rockville Pike, Rockville, MD 20852

Let's get to the point with this one.  It's a diner.  Plain and simple.  There is absolutely nothing amazing or high quality about this place but it gets the job done.  David, Jeana and I were looking for a brunch place in Rockville and let's be honest, there are zero places in the suburbs for brunch.  So going to a diner is the next best thing.  This place has gone through several iterations of a 50's diner (you can't see the outside but it's silver and similar to an airstream trailer) and I didn't really have high expectations for it.  When you walk in, your first impression is how large it is inside.  The other diners I've been to at home (Silver Diner and Tasty Diner) were all pretty small and cozy but this place was like a football field inside. 


The menu is also exactly what you would expect of a diner.  It's about 5-6 pages long with everything and anything you can think of.  Since it was 11:30am, I had to get some kind of egg product.  I got a garden omelette with American cheese ($9.95) which came with homefries and toast.  In about 10 minutes our food came out, piping hot.  What struck me first was the sheer size of my food.  They must have used 7 eggs to make my omelette because it was HUGE, the size of my entire plate.  I'm not kidding.  Luckily, the omelette tasted exactly how I expected a diner omelette to taste...which is pretty damn good if you are hung over or not looking for fine dining.  While I do appreciate the fancy brunch omelettes every now and then, sometimes you really just want a greasy, googey omelette.  It was stuffed full of zucchini, mushrooms, onions and green peppers and it was super filling.  

Unfortunately the homefries that came with it weren't as good.  It tasted like it had a lot of butter in it and only the outside was toasted and crispy. The inside was still pretty raw and undercooked.  The waitstaff was super friendly and nice, especially when they messed up David's order (he ordered an omelette with asparagus and got an omelette with green peppers).  I got this feeling it was a family run place since everyone was seemingly overly concerned about how we were doing which was a nice feeling.  The 2.5 rating is simply based on the fact that it's not high quality food, but sometimes that's ok if that's what you're in the mood for.  Total bill: $40 


Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: