Thursday, June 28, 2012

Sorella Visited 6/27/2012 4.5 Forks

Sorella 95 Allen St., New York, NY 10002


A disclaimer that I did show up to dinner 3 vodka tonics deep, but none the less, I think I remember enough to give it a fair review.  Sorella has been on my list for a while and it didn't disappoint.  The menu has a bunch of small plates and pastas and everything sounded amazing.  Aarti and I totally went to town and ordered way more food than was really necessary.  We started with the burrata dish which seemed more like a heavily dressed salad with a lump of burrata on top of it.  It was good but it could have used a bit more salt and it didn't really showcase the burrata in a way that I would have liked.  We also got the squash special which came with roasted squash, sprinkled with balsamic vinegar and served with ricotta cheese.  This dish was delicious.  The squash was roasted really well and had a hint of buttery sweetness to it but it wasn't overpowering.  The ricotta was a nice pairing with the squash.  It was a totally unexpectedly good dish.   We then each ordered our own pasta dishes (yes, our eyes were bigger than our stomachs) and also shared a broccoli fritto.  I got the orecchiette with a pork ragu and peas and it was fabulous.  It was in a cream sauce that was heavenly and the whole dish was what you think of when you think heavy comfort food.   I've had a few orecchiette dishes in the city before and none were as good as this.  While I loved it, it was definitely way too much to finish and I probably left 1/4 of the pasta on the plate.  Another great surprise was the broccoli dish.  It was cooked al dente (almost raw but just enough that it was still very crunchy) and then it was fried in a light tempura and covered with a hot pepper aioli.  The hot pepper was in full force and the dish had a definite kick to it.  If it's actually possible to say that a broccoli dish can be a star dish, then this dish is it.  It was phenomenal and I'm still thinking of it.   It was this dish that put my rating up to 4.5 forks and not just 4 forks.


You'd think after eating all of this that we would just walk away, but no.  Of course we had to listen to the dessert menu.  And you know what they had?! Butterscotch cookie dough ice cream!! Those are two of my most favorite things in the world and now it's served in ice cream form, so how could I say no? So we ordered 1 scoop and it was everything it sounded it would be.  It was butterscotch-y and had big chunks of cookie dough in there as well.  I wish more places had this flavor of ice cream.  The service here was great and super friendly and very welcoming.  The one annoying thing was that since we didn't have a reservation we had to sit in the front of the restaurant, which was fine because we got a pretty big communal table to ourselves but it looked like there was a bigger nicer space in the back.  Total bill: $71/pp with tax, tip and drinks


Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: