Sunday, July 1, 2012

Dtich Plains Visited 6/30/2012 3 Forks

Ditch Plains 29 Bedford St., (between Carmine St & Downing St), New York, NY 10014


The nice thing about staying in the city during the summer is that almost every place that's nomrally crowded during the year is pretty empty.  I've never been to Trader Joe's on a Saturday with less than 100 people or having to go to a restaurant on a Saturday night without having to wait for a table.  But now that everyone goes away from the weekends, everything in the city is quieter and frankly, more relaxing.  Holly and I met up for dinner at Ditch Plains, got a table immediately and it was quiet and peaceful, which was really nice. 


The menu at Ditch Plains is mostly seafood based with a few comfort foods like mac and cheese, burgers and hot dogs.  I am a huge sucker for lobster rolls, so without even reading most of the menu, I ordered the lobster roll ($28) as did Holly.  We also split the crab dip ($16) to start.  The crab dip was served with thin bagel chips and despite the no so flattering picture above, the dip was actually very good.  It's served nice and warm and you can actually see and taste real pieces of crab.  It was heavy on the cream cheese and definitely awful for my health, but hey, sometimes you've got to splurge.  I really liked the bagel chips that came with it because they were thin enough that you didn't feel like you were carbo loading but thick enough to hold a lot of dip on the chip.  Next came the lobster rolls.  One thing I didn't love about it before I even saw it was the fact that it was served with sweet potato chips.  For $28, I would have preferred at least fries instead of chips.  Of course as I was eating the roll I was mentally comparing it to Mary's Fish Camp, Pearl Oyster Bar, Ed's Lobster, Luke's Lobster and Red Hook Lobster Pound.  I will say that the thing this roll has going for it is that it was overflowing with lobster...lots of fairly big chunks of lobster, which is very appreciated when you're paying $25+ for a sandwich.  The hot dog roll was also very soft and more like a potato roll which I love.  The thing I didn't love about it was that there wasn't enough mayo. I know, some people hate mayo and prefer their rolls as simple as possible.  But I personally prefer a bit more mayo on my lobster roll (not too much where it's swimming in mayo but enough to moisten it up a bit).  It also had a bit too much seasoning/herbs and something about it gave it a kind of un-describable sour/tangy after taste (Holly also commented on how there was some kind of after taste too).  It wasn't bad but I still prefer Pearl Oyster and Mary's Fish Camp's rolls. 

But since Pearl and Mary's always has a ridiculous wait, I would come back to Ditch Plains as a back up if I was in dire need of a quick lobster roll.  The wait staff was super nice and friendly and I enjoyed the casual laid-back atmosphere of it all.  Total bill: $56/pp without tip 

Photo Credit: Yelp 

No comments: