Saturday, July 7, 2012

Chai Visited 7/6/2012 2.5 Forks

Chai 124 N 6th St., (between Bedford Ave & Berry St), Brooklyn, NY 11211

 

I'll keep this review pretty short and sweet.  Chai is like any typical local Thai place in the city. It's not like Pok Pok NY or any of the places in Queens that offer real authentic Thai food.  This is your standard pad thai, pad see ew kind of place.  And that's totally fine by me because sometimes you just need a quick, cheap, go-to place in the neighborhood.  

The one thing I did like about this place was the ambiance.  It's got this super cute mini pond with floating lights and floor to ceiling windows and it's just a very calming place to have dinner (unlike SEA next door, which is a loud cavernous trendy restaurant).  Lav and I split the corn fritters ($6) to start and I got the Lad Na Ta Lay which was sauteed flat noodle with seafood and chinese broccoli in brown gravy sauce ($12).  The corn fritters were sweet corn kernels mixed in a batter with Thai curry paste and served with cucumber relish.  I liked this dish enough,  although I don't really think the corn was fresh...it probably came out of a frozen bag.  But it was a good starter dish and I found the cucumber relish to be very refreshing and added some tang to each bite.  My seafood flat noodle was just ok.  I was expected it to be more like a pad see ew with seafood instead of chicken.  But this was much more soupy (in fact it was served with a spoon) which was not what I was expecting.  I would have liked more noodles because I am a huge fan of broad flat noodles, but all I could taste really was brown gravy sauce.  The seafood was as expected in place like this.  Heavy on the squid, about 4 pieces of small-medium shrimp and 1 scallop.  The chinese broccoli was actually all stem which is the part I don't really like, so that was a bummer.  All in all, the dish was fine but I probably would have been better served just getting my usual pad thai dish at a place like this.  Again the place was totally fine for what it was as long as your not expecting mind blowing authentic Thai food.   Total bill: $40 with tax and tip

Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: