Sunday, December 9, 2012

Commerce Visited 12/9/2012 3.5 Forks

Commerce 50 Commerce St., (between Barrow St & Bedford St), New York, NY 10014


Commerce is on what is one of the cutest streets in all of New York.  It's in this tucked away cul-de-sac in the West Village surrounded by adorable townhouses (close to where they "filmed" the into of Friends).  The few times I've tried to go to Commerce it's been a complete sh*tshow and so so crowded that I just turn around and leave.  Luckily this time I went to Commerce with a reservation for brunch.

The insides is a bit cramped and quite loud, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it if you're looking for a lot of space or peace and quiet.  But otherwise, it's pretty cozy and bustling inside.  The menu has tons of delicious sounding brunch dishes and the decision to pick just one thing can be pretty hard.  But the good thing about eating with a large group is that usually people are willing to split a few appetizers or starter dishes.   For the table, we split the cinnamon rolls ($9) and the biscuits and gravy ($16) which I was thrilled about because I definitely wanted to try them both but it would obviously be way too glutenous to order them just for myself.  The cinnamon roll was more like a sticky bun than and a cinnamon roll.  It was like a cinnamon roll in the sense it had the circular twist to the roll but instead of a frosting it had a lot of sticky toffee like topping to it.  Delicious but definitely way too much sweetness for one person.  The biscuits and gravy was served with a heart stopping sausage gravy and topped with a perfect sunny side up egg.  Again, I was happy that I had a bite and that I didn't have it all to myself. As for my main entree, I decided on the soft scrambled egg with cheddar cheese, scallion and ham ($16) and it was served with roasted potatoes and roasted Brussels sprouts.  The scramble was indeed soft but I would have appreciated it to be just a bit of a harder scramble because it was a little watery.  But overall, it was super flavorful and a great egg dish.  The potatoes were very crispy and almost like french fries, which I am not going to complain about.  I also really liked the fact that the entree came with a side of roasted Brussels sprouts too.  It was a nice touch to round out the dish with a vegetable side.  

Overall the meal was delicious but the one thing that was kind of stopped this review short of 4 forks was that the service was incredibly slow.  I wasn't sure if they were just waiting to take our order because we were waiting for one more person to show up but we must have waited over 30 minutes just to have our waitress take our order.   I would definitely come back to check this place out for dinner.  Total bill: $42/pp with tax and tip

Photo Credit: New York Magazine

No comments: