Saturday, December 15, 2012

Grey Dog's Coffee Visited 12/13/12 3.5 Forks

Grey Dog's Coffee 90 University Pl., (between 12th St & 11th St), New York, NY 10003


Grey Dog Cafe is one of those places that reminds me of college.  Not surprisingly one of their location is right by NYU, so they definitely know what they are doing.  There's no other word to describe it than just cute, cozy and collegiate.  The menu comprises of lots of delicious sounding and affordable sandwiches, big salads, and other comfort food such as tacos, burgers, mac and cheese, soups, cookies and a variety of great breakfast dishes. 

The decor is mostly stain washed wooden benches and chairs.  Maybe it was because it's the holidays but they did have cute Christmas lights strung up as well which added a nice touch.  It just had a nice homey feeling to it.  I had actually been to Grey Dog when I was in B-school and remembered really liking their Roast Beef sandwich, so since I was in the neighborhood, I swung by there on my way home from work the other day for take out.  They have a good sandwich and salad (or soup) combo for $13, so I went for the pressed Cuban and salad (you only get a choice of the country salad).  Even though it was super crowded, it only took about 10-15 minutes for my food to come out.

Now my slight complaint about my sandwich is most likely my fault and has nothing to do with the cafe.  I should have known that getting a pressed sandwich to-go might lend itself to it getting soggy or not as crunchy than if you had just gotten it fresh from the press.  But the ingredients of the sandwich itself were tasty.  It had the right amount of pulled pork, sweet ham, swiss cheese, pickles and mustard.  I devoured the entire thing as soon as I got home despite the slight sogginess.  As for the salad, it was a pretty big salad considering it was more of a side salad as part of the combo.  The country salad comes with mixed greens, grape tomatoes, cucumber, red onion, pea shoots, and chick peas, with a house vinaigrette.  It was a bit heavy on the onions and not enough cucumber.  Also I didn't realize the dressing was a creamy dressing (I always thought that a vinaigrette was more oil based) and too garlic-y for me, but there could be worse things right?  Overall, it was a solid sandwich and salad combination.  For $13, I was very pleased with my meal considering that the night before I had paid $21 for a noodle dish and dumplings that should have been more satisfying than a sandwich, but it wasn't.  I would totally come back to Grey Dog's anytime, but I would kind of think twice about getting a pressed sandwich to-go.

Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: