Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Asia Bay Visited 2/17/2013 3.5 Forks

Asia Bay 1111 E Las Olas Blvd., Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301

For our last night in Ft. Lauderdale, the girls and I decided that we should treat ourselves to a nice night out and what better way than to go for sushi? Las Olas is the main strip in Ft. Lauderdale with tons of cute shops and restaurants and Asia Bay was a quick 15 minute walk from the condo.  We had originally called for a 8:30pm reservation and we walked in about 10 minutes late and they didn't flinch at all (this would never fly in NYC). 

The menu here is mostly sushi but then there's a bunch of Thai food too.  I'm usually not a huge fan of places that mixes and matches ethnic cuisines but if it's going to be a mix, it might as well be a mix of my two favorite cuisines.  We decided to go family style and went a bit overboard with the ordering.  We started with their famous tuna rock appetizer ($14), the hamachi shiitake sashimi ($19), the steamed mussels ($13) and the yasai itame ($8) for the table.  The tuna rock is what the restaurant is known for and it consisted of chopped tuna, avocado, masago, scallion, spicy mayo sitting on a bed of seaweed salad.  So it was basically tuna tartar.  I loved all the ingredients and had no doubt that it would be a great dish - which it was.  But my one complaint was the presentation of the dish.  To be honest, it kind of looked like cat food.  It was a bit grey and didn't have that dark red look of fresh tuna.  Don't get me wrong, the tuna was totally fresh tasting and the dish overall was great, but looks wise it could have used some work.  The hamachi shiitake sashimi was also great but I didn't think that the shiitake really added anything to the dish.  The dish could have been fine with just the hamachi on its own.  The steam mussels was actually a Thai soup served in a lemongrass and basil broth.  It's a bit hard to share a soup with 8 people, but I managed to sneak a couple sips and the lemongrass really hits you in the face.  The mussels were the green New Zealand mussels that I love but they weren't as big as I've normally seen them, so that was a bit of a disappointment.   As for the yasai itame, it was just a bunch of steamed vegetables and I didn't really get the dish.  It looked and tasted like a plate of veggies that I make at home.

For our entrees, we kind of went buckwild and ordered way too much food.  I got the sashimi appetizer for myself ($13) and then shared the tuna jalapeno roll (it was supposed to be toro but they were out of toro that night.  Boo!  $15), the beauty and beast roll ($11), the rainbow roll ($11), the fuji roll ($16), pad thai with chicken ($16), the pad si ew with chicken ($16) and the sea bass main with ginger sauce ($28).  I had actually ordered two other rolls but luckily the waiter had forgotten to put that order in, which was totally fine because we could barely finish all the food we did have.  The sashimi appetizer was really fresh and totally hit the spot and it almost made me wished that I ordered a sashimi entree.  It came with 3 pieces of tuna, 3 pieces of salmon, and 3 pieces of white fish.  It was the perfect sashimi appetizer.  As for the rolls, they were all quite good and very very filling.  They were all pretty big in size and the quality of all the ingredients were great.  The tuna jalapeno roll had the right amount of heat, the beauty and beast roll was a fantastic combination of eel and tuna (but I could have done without the asparagus in it, I just really don't like my sushi with veggies), the rainbow roll was your usual rainbow roll topped with fresh pieces of salmon, tuna, white tuna and snapper, while the fuji roll was quite unique - it was a tuna roll but it was topped with chunks of avocado, masago, tuna and kimchee sauce.  All the rolls were winners and honestly the menu was full of other really interesting rolls that I would have loved to try but there just wasn't enough time, money or room in my stomach.  I also tried the pad si ew and it's your basic solid broad noodle dish.  We all did comment how it seemed more like a chicken dish with noodles tossed in because there was so much chicken on the dish.  But hey , at least we got our money's worth!  The sea bass was cooked nicely and tossed with mushrooms, onion, bell peppers, pineapple, and scallions.  The pineapple was an interesting touch and I didn't mind it, but it wasn't an amazing addition.  By the end of the meal, I felt like I needed to be rolled out of the place so I was so happy when they "forgot" our last 2 rolls even though they sounded amazing and were actually the ones that I had ordered for the table.  

All in all, it was a great and enjoyable meal.  The service was super friendly even when Noa complained about not enjoying her drink, they gave her another drink with zero attitude.  I was surprised a bit at the prices (one of the rolls on the menu was even $25) and thought they were a bit high for Florida but it was worth the splurge for a nice night out with everyone.  I did dock 1/2 fork for overall presentation but rest assured, the flavors and ingredients are still worth it.  Total bill: ~$60/pp with tax and tip.

Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: