Sunday, February 24, 2013

Lighthouse Visited 2/24/2013 3 Forks

Lighthouse 145 Borinquen Pl., Brooklyn, NY 11211


Although I've eaten at tons of places in Williamsburg, I usually don't venture much to this side of the area.  But I had heard good things about the Lighthouse so I was up for giving it a try. The location is actually kind of hard to find because there is no sign or any indication of it from the outside.  You finally realize where it is once you've walked past it but the entrance is right at the corner of Keap and Borinquen Place at the point of the building.

I'm not entirely sure what the genre of food is here (it's mostly grill type food) so I'll go with American.  The menu is pretty small with only 3-4 appetizers, a bunch of pickled items (not really sure what they means) and 5-6 main entrees.  They have a great selection of oysters, so we started with half a dozen ($15) of them.  I'll be honest that I don't remember what they were but they were all excellent and very creamy and clean tasting.  The waitress was super knowledgeable about the oysters and was very helpful in educating us on what we were eating.   For my main entree, I opted for the hanger steak ($25) and Dan (I'm not going to comment on my personal life here but all I'll say is that we're trying to be friendly with each other) got the pork ribs ($20).  The steak itself was pretty good but would have preferred it to have been a bit more rare (the waitress never asked how I wanted my steak) and to have had a bigger cut of steak.  The dish was served with what they said was mashed potatoes but in all honestly it tasted more like hummus.  It had a very thick non-starchy consistency and it was cold, so I wasn't really a huge fan of it.  It was also served with a bunch of roasted potatoes that were ok, but not amazing.  The dish was good but I've definitely had better steak.  I tried the pork ribs too and most of the meat fell off the bone pretty easily and was nice and flavorful.  But the main issue was that there was a lot of cartilage/knuckle in the pork that made for a slightly uncomfortable eating experience.  Apparently they are pretty well known for their burger and I kind of wished that I had tried it out. 

Overall, the Lighthouse is a nice, modern restaurant in a section of Williamsburg that doesn't have tons of nice options.  But there are still tons of other fantastic options on the North end of Williamsburg that are a bit better and at a slightly cheaper price point.  Total bill: $108 for 2 with tax and tip.

Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: