Saturday, March 2, 2013

Rose Water Visited 3/2/2013 4 Forks

Rose Water 787 Union St., (between 5th Ave & 6th Ave), Brooklyn, NY 11215

It has been a very long time since I've been back in Park Slope since I moved out of the hood a few years ago.  I was back in the area to get my taxes done and met up with Anuja for brunch afterwards.  I had been to Rose Water once years ago but now that I've been there for brunch I'm really sad that I never went there more often because it was quite delicious.

It's got the quintessential cute brunch feel and their menu has a nice mix of sweet and savory options.  They offer a $15 prix fixe deal of 1 entree and one drink.   At first Anuja and I both wanted to get the vegetarian dish but it didn't make sense that we would get the same thing, so we split the vegetarian dish and the pear buttermilk pancake and of course I had to get a side of bacon because who can have brunch without bacon??  I was a bit disappointed that the drink options were non alcoholic (tea, coffee, apple cider, or juice) but I opted for a warm apple cider since you usually don't see that very often on a menu.  The dishes came out and they were pretty huge.  The vegetarian dish was a baked polenta and goat cheese with 2 poached eggs, mustard greens and salsa verde.  For some reason I had forgotten that the dish was on a baked polenta and thought it was bread because it didn't really have the consistency or taste of polenta.  The polenta was a little bit bland on its own but it when combined with goat cheese and salsa verde it was quite tasty.  The eggs were poached perfectly and the flavors all worked very well together.  Next I moved on to the pancakes and it was a pleasant surprise.  I usually never get pancakes for brunch because it's too much sweetness and while this dish was no different, it was nice to have been able to split it with someone else because it made me realize that I do miss having something sweet every now and then.  The pancakes were a little bit on the dense side but not to the point where I didn't like the dish.  You could definitely taste the hint of fresh ginger in the batter and there was a nice thin layer of pears on top of each pancake.  The syrup was super sweet but shouldn't syrup be that way?  But honestly the best part of the meal was the side of bacon ($5) I got.  It was freaking amazing.  It was perfectly fatty and crispy at the same time and had a nice sticky hint of honey on the outside.  It was salty perfection.  But since Anuja is a vegetarian I had to eat all 5 strips myself...I know tough life but I did reach a point where I thought I couldn't finish it but I can't leave bacon behind!

The waitstaff was very friendly and nice and I was glad that we had gotten there super early (around 11am) because by the time we left there was already 5-10 people waiting in line for a table.  It was a great brunch and I do wish that I had visited more often when I live nearby.  Total bill: $22 with tax and tip per person.

Photo Credit: Yelp 

No comments: