Sunday, February 3, 2013

Mighty Quinn's Visited 2/1/2013 4.5 Forks

Mighty Quinn's Barbeque 103 2nd Ave., (between 7th St & 6th St), New York, NY 10003


Many of you know that my love for Fette Sau knows no bounds.  In fact, at one point I had joked that I would want to get married there and just have BBQ at my reception.  So far I've yet to find any BBQ in New York that is as good and as reasonably priced as Fette Sau until now.  Mighty Quinn's come very very close to being as good as Fette Sau and I would say that if you would rather stay in the city rather than go to Brooklyn, this is totally the place to be.

I met up with my good friends Cicily, Joe, and some other AXP folks for dinner here on a Friday night.  We got there at 7pm and it was crowded enough that we had to ask the staff to get extra chairs for us from the back but little did we know that it was going to get way more crowded later.  The set up is similar to Fette Sau where you order your food at the counter and seat yourself.  I like the funky decor at Fette Sau better vs. the more sterile look of Mighty Quinn's but that wasn't really a huge deal for me.  The menu here is pretty basic:  brisket, pulled pork, sausage, spare ribs, brontosaurus ribs, and half chicken.  Everything can be ordered on itself or as a sandwich.  We asked the guy behind the counter to give us everything and enough to feed 6 people.  I believe he ended up getting us 1 lb of everything except for the chicken which they were out of.  Price-wise, you can get everything as a single serving or by the pound.  The pricing here was very reasonable, ranging from $12/lb to $23 at the most.  Moving on to the sides.  This is where they don't really shine (although to be honest either does Fette Sau).  The options here were sweet potato casserole, cole slaw, baked beans, or pea salad (small $3, medium $5.75 and large $11.25).  None of these sides really spoke to us but we felt compelled to get something, so we got the baked beans.  Cicily complained to the staff about why they didn't have mac and cheese, to which they responded "We get that about 45 times a day."  Ha.  Then moving on to the drinks.  Again this is where there was some disappointment.  They only have beer, no whiskey.  I don't often drink whiskey but there's something about having BBQ that really makes me crave the brown stuff so that was kind of a bummer.  They do have growlers here ($20 per growler) and a nice selection of beers on tap, so it wasn't a total loss.  I didn't like that the beer/bar section was tied to the food line.  It would be nice if it were a separate area so that you don't have to wait in line just to get a beer.  Then we went to check out and it was a shock to learn that for 6 lbs of meat, 2 growlers, and 1 medium side the total was $25/pp.  Amazing.  I may have spent that much at other places (except for Fette Sau) for less than half the food.  The cashier was awesome and totally patient with the 3 of us fumbling around on how to pay for our meal and totally holding up the line.

We finally sat down and looked at our food.  It was completely insane how much food we had in front of us.  We all had to start with the brisket and the unanimous decision was that it kicked ass and was amazing.  Moist and flavorful and just awesome.  I thought it was light years better than the brisket at BrisketTown.  I then moved on to the brontosaurus rib.  It's essentially a beef rib the size of my foot and it was also fantastic.  Very juicy and fell completely off the bone cleanly.  I wished I had a picture of it because there was not a single piece of meat on that bone.  That to me is the sign of a perfect rib.  After that I had the spare ribs and that one was a bit tougher to eat and it had a slightly spicy flavor it it.  It was good but after having the brontosaurus rib, it just didn't compare.  I moved on to the sausage and it tasted more like a chorizo with a lot of heat to it.  I personally like the more traditional sausage at Fette Sau better but if you like your sausage more spicey than this one at Mighty Quinn's might be up your alley.  Lastly I had the pulled pork.  It was good but it was a bit too greasy for me and I think it would have been better in a sandwich formation instead of just served naked.  I didn't get to their custom BBQ sauce until later on in the meal but when I finally did, I really loved it.  It was more on the sweet side and went really well with the brisket.  I also had 1 bite of the baked beans and it was totally fine but nothing compared to the meats.  In the end, I was really really happy with my meal here and it is a serious and legit competitor to any of the country's top BBQ places.

By the time we finished our meal, the place was completely over flowing with people.  People were literally stalking tables like vultures and would pounce on anyone the moment they got up. When we left, these 2 groups almost got into a fight over our table, so be forewarned and get there early. 

Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: