Saturday, June 22, 2013

Brooklyn Seoul Visited 6/18/2013 3.5 Forks

Brooklyn Seoul 749 Metropolitan Ave., (between Hunbldt St & Graham Ave), New York, NY 11211


Similar to Greek food, I find Korean food to be underrated.  I've never really had a bad Korean experience and the food has so much flavor to it but unless you're in Koreatown there aren't a ton of Korean places.  But it has gotten a recent bump in popularity with places like Korilla and Kogi that mix Mexican and Korean food.  So I was pleasantly surprised to see a mom and pop place open right off the Graham Ave L train that played off this concept.  Their menu is a mix of regular Korean dishes like Bimbimbop, Bao Buns, Dumplings, and Bulgogi boxes and fusion food like tacos and burritos stuffed with kimchi, kalbi, or pork belly.  Yum!

To be honest, this place is really more of a take-out or delivery place.  You can sit down but the place doesn't have a lot of decor or atmosphere.  I was starving so I ordered the BK Seoul Mixed Rice Bimbimbop ($9.99).  It comes with a base of white rice mixed with bulbogi beef, lettuce, broccoli, soy bean sprouts, mushrooms, carrots, cucumbers, zucchini, radish and topped with a fried egg.  It also comes with small sides of kimchi and chilli sauce - I dumped them in and mixed it all together.  I usually like my bimbimbop in a sizzling bowl but hey, this is take-out, I'm not going to expect that level of sophistication.  I was surprised at how huge the portion was and it was incredibly filling.  I was pretty surprised at how flavorful it was and fresh the ingredients were.  I kind of went in with ok expectations based on some mixed reviews on Yelp but I really had a pretty positive experience.  I will say that the one thing that I did see that was a bit discouraging was a call I overheard at the counter.  Someone had called clearly asking for an update on their delivery and the person at the counter checked on their order.  After about 10-15 minutes she told them that they actually didn't deliver to their neighborhood!  Obviously the person on the other line was pissed and the restaurant did say they would refund their money but to have placed an order and then wait what was probably a good amount of time only to find that they don't deliver to your place is pretty bad customer service.  I guess at least they were apologetic about it.  In any case, my own take out experience was totally fine and I plan on going back to try a bunch of other things on the menu. 

Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: