Sunday, June 23, 2013

GRK Visited 6/18/2013 3 Forks

GRK 111 Fulton St., (between William St & Dutch St), New York, NY 10038


As I stated before recently, I am a huge fan of Greek food and luckily so is my friend Allison.  So she kindly took me out to GRK for a belated birthday lunch after I came back from all my travels.  I was totally excited to try it out and plus it was a beautiful day outside, so it was nice to get out of the building for lunch.

We got there a bit before noon, which was the perfect time because by the time we got our order the line was literally out the door.  So definitely try to go early if you can.  GRK is more of a fast food/lunch place vs. a real restaurant.  They have a short menu but it hits the Greek classics:  gyro sandwiches (chicken, pork or beef/lamb), platters, salads, and  tzatziki samplers.  What's also neat is that they also serve greek yogurt.  How on trend.  They have either regular yogurt or frozen yogurt.  We didn't really have time or space in our stomachs to get yogurt on top of our lunch, but if I worked closer to here, I could definitely see myself coming here for yogurt runs often.  Back to the food, I opted for the Greek Salad ($9.64) and Allison got the Chicken platter ($9.78) and we split a tzatziki sampler ($4.59).  I was super excited for the salad because I had been eating all this rich Chinese food lately and even though the menu accurately described the salad (Vine ripened tomatoes, red onions, green peppers, cucumbers and Kalamata olives. Tossed lightly with extra virgin olive oil, Kalamata vinegar and garnished with authentic Greek feta cheese) I was surprised that there was no lettuce in it.  The bowl was mainly huge chunks of tomatoes and cucumbers, which would have normally been fine but they were a bit poorly cut and I had re-cut them into smaller pieces.  The dressing and feta cheese were fine but it just didn't have that fresh Greek taste to it.  It was totally fine for a work time lunch meal but if I had that for dinner at a sit down place I would have been disappointed.  Allison's food looked like a winner with lots of gyro style chicken (I tried a bite and it was pretty tasty), aegean slaw (which was basically cabbage, carrots, onions in a vinaigrette) and rice with a tzatziki.  Considering it's almost the same price the salad, I would recommend getting the platter as it has more flavor and food to it.  The tzatziki sampler is a trio of dips (GRK - which is scallion, cucumber, mint and lemon; kaftero - which is habanero peppers, herbs, and sprices; and prassino - which is basil, cucumber and garlic) and a huge bag of warm pita.  I love the idea of the sampler and since we finished every single dip, clearly we enjoyed them, but similar to my Greek Salad, I've had better dips before in my life.  They all needed a bit more garlic and seasoning to them as they seemed a bit too mild.

Although this place is no Boukies, I don't think that's what it set out to be.  It's caters to a working lunch crowd and for that purpose, it gets the job done.  It's not super far from the Towers, but it's probably not a place that I would run to on a regular work day, more so on a lazy Thursday or Friday.  Total bill with 2 soda:  $30

Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: