Sunday, July 7, 2013

Sweet Chick Visited 7/6/2013 4 Forks

Sweet Chick 164 Bedford Avenue, (at At North 8th St), BrooklynNY 11211



Holy crap this place was delicious.   It's a straight up down-home Southern cooking restaurant that was all sorts of yummy and definitely not for the faint of heart.   Everything about the place is just freakin cute from the uber trendy jam jars they use to serve every single beverage to the adorable font they use for their menu.  I got there around 11:30 and it was jammed packed so Dan and I opted to sit at the bar - which I usually love to do anyways.  Honestly I barely looked at the menu because as soon as I saw eggs benedict (they called it eggs benny - $12) I was sold.  They are pretty well known for their chicken and waffles but that concept just never really appealed to me but it looked like lots of people were going for that.  Dan opted for the pork hash and a coffee and sangria.  Given that I had just had a night of heavy drinking the night before, I wasn't in the mood for any of their cocktails but it looked like they had a pretty serious bar and some great sounding cocktails if you are there for dinner or lunch. 

The food came out relatively quickly given the packed house which I greatly appreciated given the ridiculous wait times I had at Littleneck.  When I actually looked at my eggs benedict I realized that I hadn't really looked at the details of what was on it very carefully.  I kind of assumed it was your regular eggs benedict  of 2 poached eggs on an English Muffin and ham with potatoes on the side - which is always fine by me.  But instead this one took it up a notch because it came on a buttermilk biscuit and pulled chicken on top of it.  Jesus, talk about a full meal.  The biscuit could have been a bit moister but honestly once I broken open the 2 very well poached eggs, it didn't matter very much because the yolk just covered it all.  I loved that fact that there wasn't a ton of hollandaise sauce - not because I don't love hollandaise but because too much of it will kill me and it masks the taste of the other items on the plate.  The chicken had a slight BBQ rub flavor to it and it was just a really unique touch to what is a pretty standard breakfast dish.  The roasted potatoes had bit of ham in it to really give it a strong Southern touch to it and it was also sauteed with green pepers and onions.  I could barely make it through half my meal and had to take the rest home because it was just too damn filling.  I had a bit of the pork hash and it was also pretty killer.  It was essentially a cast iron skillet full of pulled pork, roasted potatoes and topped with 1 poached egg.  There was so much of it that every time I turned around, it looked like Dan hadn't made a dent in it event though he had been eating it for an hour.  He also got a cup of coffee and a sangria and this was the one small thing that bothered me.  The coffee was one of those fancy french press kind - which is fine but it was $6.  Luckily I don't drink coffee but $6 for coffee, no matter how fancy pants it is, is a bit ridiculous.  Plus when they served it, they didn't bring any milk, sugar, or a spoon.  I know some people drink coffee black but it would have been nice if they at least asked if we needed any of the other usual coffee items.  The sangria was tasty with a very heavy hand on the red wine.  I ate some of the sangria soaked apples and they were amazing and could get someone drunk if you ate enough of them. 

By the time we left, the place had almost cleared out even though it was only 12:30.  I would totally come back again not just for brunch but for dinner to check out the rest of the dinner menu.  But I will say that the food is not for someone looking for a light summer meal and was probably not the best idea on one of the hottest days of the year as it just weighted me down afterwards.  But this new Southern restaurant is definitely worth a trip to Bedford and Pies n' Thighs should watch their back.  Total bill: $50 for 2 with tax and tip. 

Photo Credit: Yelp

No comments: