Thursday, October 31, 2013

Champs Visited 10/27/2013 4.5 Forks

Champs 176 Ainslie St., (between Lorimer St & Manhattan Ave), BrooklynNY 11211



Who would have thought that I would be in love with a total hipster vegan diner in the middle of Williamsburg?  But I am.  I found this place randomly while I was walking around the neighborhood and it totally reminded me of a place that I would find in Chicago.  It's got this great low-key neighborhood vibe and even though it's full of hipster vegans, it didn't bother me at all.  The menu here is typical diner type food - a giant menu full of salads, sandwiches, burgers, and breakfast bowls.  It was so overwhelming and I didn't know what to order because I wanted to order everything under the sun.  All the ingredients on the menu sounded fresh, organic and very healthy (lots of kale, quinoa, and tofu).  They take a lot of diner favorites like benedicts, buffalo chicken, reuben and cheesesteaks and made them vegan friendly which is really hard to do. 

Since it was brunch time, I opted for the breakfast burrito ($12) and we split an order of pancakes for the table ($5).  Aarti got the banh mi ($9) and Louise got the tofu rancheros ($10) and a kale salad side dish ($5).  As you can see from the prices, they are all super reasonable and affordable for the area.  We all ordered coffee and it was crazy strong and pretty bitter, so if you like sweet or weak coffee, definitely watch out here.  On to the food, usually what scares me about vegan places is the lack of flavor and seasoning (I'm looking at you Butcher's Daughter), but that was not the case here.  The food here definitely made me forget that it didn't have meat or fat in it.  The burrito was gigantic and came with tons of vegan chorizo (it tasted exactly like real chorizo and the texture wasn't too far off), tofu scramble, mixed bell peppers, garlic, rosemary potatoes, "cheese" in a whole wheat organic tortilla and drizzled with chipotle dressing.  It was a fantastic breakfast burrito, vegan or not.  It was flavorful, filling and the perfect diner food.  I didn't try Aarti or Louise's dish, but I don't think Aarti loved her banh mi too much because it was pretty heavy on the bread part and she left half of it on her plate untouched.  But we all did love the pancake stack - it was sweet, fluffy and served with a tasty berry compote.  I could have eaten the whole stack myself.   

The staff was really friendly and nice with a slight hipster edge to it.  The only downside is that it's cash only but luckily the prices aren't too high that you might be able to scrap together your bills together to pay the bill.  I'm so glad that I found this place and it really gives vegan food a good name.  I would totally come back here anytime and might even come on my own for lunch or dinner.  If you're coming here for brunch, definitely be prepared to wait.  We waited about 45 minutes on a Sunday but they do have chairs outside and you can order coffee to drink while you wait . Total bill:  $21/pp with tax and tip. 

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: