Saturday, November 2, 2013

Ruchi Visited 10/28/2013 3.5 Forks

Ruchi 120 Cedar St., (between Greenwich St & Trinity Pl), New YorkNY 10006



My fellow food loving friend Lisa had recommended that we try this place for lunch since it's 50% during lunch time.  Perfect.  While I do love Indian food, it's usually not a cuisine I eat for lunch during the work week because it's so heavy and would basically put me to sleep.  But I was up for taking a risk and lord knows that I needed to have something besides the cafeteria food.  The restaurant is tucked away behind the Freedom Tower, so if you don't work in the area it's pretty hard to find.  

The menu is pretty expansive and since everything was half off my mind was exploding with options.  They have curries, dosas, tandoori dishes, and even idlis!  I seriously could have spent all day trying out all the different foods, but since we only had an hour I opted for the chicken madras (regularly $12.95), Lisa got her usual crab curry (regularly $15.95) and we split a side of garlic naan (regularly $3.95) and rice (regularly $2.95).  When the food came out, it smelled delicious and I was ready to dive in.  The chicken madras is chunks of chicken in a coconut curry.  The chicken was very tender and the sauce was jammed packed with Indian spices.  My only gripe was that there wasn't enough chicken because by the time I had eaten all the chicken, I still had TONS of curry sauce leftover.  I did my best to sop it all up with the garlic naan (which was fantastic - soft but with the right amount of charred crunch) and the rice but it was really just way too much sauce for one person to deal with.  It looked like I hadn't even touched the sauce.  I had a bite of Lisa's curry and it was great since it was made with fresh crabmeat.  They did a good job of getting us in and out of the restaurant quickly as I'm assuming that most people here during lunch work in the neighborhood and they know the drill.  

You really can't beat a 50% off deal - especially in a neighborhood surrounded by Goldman Sachs loving places like Beans and Greens (which I love but I'm consistently spending $13-15 on a salad) or North End Grill.  While I really did enjoy by lunch, it's hard to eat like this on a regular basis because I was really full and sleepy afterwards.  It's definitely a good lunch option if you're in the mood for it, although I'm not sure I would trek all the way down here on a non-work day due to its really out of the way location downtown.  Total bill:  $10/pp with tax and tip. 

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: