Sunday, November 3, 2013

Morgan's Barbecue Visited 11/1/2013 3 Forks

Morgan's Barbecue 267 Flatbush Ave, (between Prospect Pl & St Marks Ave), BrooklynNY 11217



My love for Fette Sau has been pretty well documented on this blog and although I'm not looking for a new love, I'm always open to trying and discovering new BBQ joints in the city.  After hearing that Morgan's was by the same people as the famous Franklin's BBQ in Austin, I was expecting to have a love affair with this place.  It turned out it was more of a one-night stand/fling vs. a full blown affair.  I enjoyed my meal, especially since it was a beautiful night outside, but I'll still stand by Fette Sau (and even Mighty Quinn's) as better BBQ. 

It's a beautiful space right on the corner of 6th Ave and Flatbush, so if you sit outside, you see a lot of car and people traffic.  There are a bunch of picnic tables outside, so if it's nice, I would definitely recommend getting a seat there.  Like Fette Sau, you order the meat by weight and the prices here are also very reasonable.  But unlike Fette Sau, there is table service, so you don't have to wait in an atrocious line and then battle throngs of people for a table.  It is a bit more civilized here, which I appreciated.  The menu here consists of your typical BBQ offerings:  brisket (fatty or lean), pulled pork, beef ribs, pork ribs, turkey, chicken and sausage (beef or pork), plus you can get most of the meats as a sandwich.  What I did like about this place more than Fette Sau was the side offerings, they had mac and cheese, collard greens, potato salad, baked potato, chili, green beans, and roasted corn.  It's really really hard to find a place that has great meat and great sides.  This place has great sides but honestly having great meat trumps that. 

We ordered the fatty brisket, pulled pork, pork ribs, pork sausage, mac and cheese and collard greens.  The food comes out pretty quickly and we were ready to dive in.  I started with the pulled pork first.  While the meat itself was moist and juicy it was waaaay too pepper-y.  It was almost overwhelming and I had to take each bite with some mac and cheese to counter act the intense black pepper taste.  Next I went for the brisket.  It was fatty but my issue here was that they only had 1 BBQ sauce on teh table and it was this sour vinegar based kind, so when I was eating the brisket, I really felt like I was missing that element of sauce to it.  It wasn't bad but wasn't mind blowing either.  The ribs weren't the fall off the bone kind, you did have to work at bit at it but I liked that it was a dry rub and not the super saucy kind that covers your face.  The biggest disappointment was probably the sausage.  As Cicily said, it reminded her of the Hillshire Farms kind.  It wasn't spicy and kind of had this rubbery texture to it.  Don't get me wrong, I still ate it, but it didn't taste like a sausage from a BBQ joint but sausage from a diner maybe.  Meanwhile, we both really enjoyed the sides.  The mac and cheese had the right balance of cheese and pasta (not too gooey or dry) and the collard greens were steamed and sauteed well.  There is a small side pop-up store next to Morgan's that's called the Elbow Room that just sold different kinds of mac and cheese and we were super curious to try that. 

As for the whisky/bar selection, they don't have the large selection that Fette Sau has and they don't even have a whisky menu.  When I asked to see one, she said they didn't have one but they could just bring something out.  Ummm - ok, but I'd like to know what I'm ordering first.  All in all, this place wasn't bad, in fact, I would come back if I was in the 'hood and have a sandwich and mac and cheese, but my heart and love still goes to Fette Sau first.  Cicily's take on this place was 3.5 for the sides and 2.5 for the meat - so we both kind of netted out in the 3 range.   Total bill:  $41/pp with tax and tip

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: