Sunday, November 17, 2013

Antique Taco Visited 11/9/2013 4 Forks

Antique Taco 1360 N Milwaukee Ave., (between Wood St & Wolcott Ave), ChicagoIL 60622



Antique Taco is a place that's right up my alley.  It's a little bit hipster, no frills but still serves good food. It seems like it's more of a late night eat place given it's location on Milwaukee and the type of food it serves.  But it's also a good place to grab a bite to eat before you head out for the night too.  The menu here is pretty simple:  tacos.  They have mushroom, pork, steak, fish, shrimp, and chicken.  They also do have some non-taco dishes like salads and cheese curds (random).  The cool thing about this place is that they also have alcoholic drinks like margaritas and agua fresca with vodka so you can easily get the night started here.  

Deanna and I had a pretty full and late lunch at one of my all-time favorite places in Chicago, Longman and Eagle, so we both went pretty light on dinner here.  It's one of those places where you order at the counter, they give you a number to put at your table and they then bring you your food.  Although all the tacos sounded great, I opted for the fish tacos.  I kind of trick myself into thinking they are healthy for me, even though they are usually battered and fried.  If you're here with a larger party, I would recommend that you order a bunch of different tacos and split them amongst yourself.  In a lot of fancy places in NYC, these kind of tacos will run you $15-20 but luckily I was in Chicago and these were only $8 for 2.  Deanna ended up getting the corn off the cob salad ($8) which sounded delicious also. We also split a pint (serves 3-4 glasses) of agua fresca vodka - yum!  I was a bit nervous that 2 tacos wouldn't be enough, but when these came out, they definitely looked like enough food.  It's not really stereotype, but everything in the Midwest is just bigger.  The fish was lightly tempura battered and then served with a lot of smoked cabbage, chives, sesame, and Sriacha tartar sauce.  The pieces of fish were ginormous and and battered well with a nice crispiness to it but not overly done so that you couldn't taste the flakiness of the fish inside.  My one complaint was that there was way to much cabbage.  I mean it was literally covering the taco and drowning the dish.  They could have used half the amount and been fine.  I loved the Sriacha tartar sauce because it had the nice balance of spiciness but kept with the tradition of tartar sauce in a fish taco.   I tried a bite of Deaana's corn salad and it was fantastic - it was served with corn, Parmesan, black beans, red peppers, avocado, onion, corn chips, and romaine lettuce. 

All in all, this is a great local joint.  A perfect bite before or after a late night in Bucktown.  While ABC Cocina still has my favorite fish taco, this place isn't too far and it's definitely much cheaper and easier to get into!  Total bill:  $14/pp with tax and tip

Photo:  Yelp 

No comments: