Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Mercadito Visited 6/11/2014 2.5 Forks

Mercadito 179 Ave BNew YorkNY 10009



I had been to Mercadito years ago and remembered it being super tiny, hot and just ok.  Fast forward to 2014 and honestly not much has changed.  It's still tiny, it's still hot and muggy inside and the food is still ok.  I will say that it's a lively place with some pretty strong margaritas, which is a good offset to the mediocre tacos.  But another good thing is that on Tuesday it's Taco Tuesdays so instead of 4 tacos for $14.50 it's 2 tacos for $5.  

I was torn between the sauteed fish or the beer battered fish tacos, but I opted for the sauteed version to be "healthy" and then also got the carne one as well.  The table split an order of the guacamole ($13.50) and the pico de tres elote ($5.50).  The guacamole was ok - it was too chunky and not creamy enough for me.  It felt like they forgot to mash up the avocados before putting it in the bowl.  The tacos themselves were also ok...they were definitely a bit lack luster presentation wise.  They just looked a bit sloppy but taste wise they were fine nothing to really write home about.  They were your basic tacos that got the job done if you were hungry but they lacked the quality of a place like ABC Cocina or the originality of a Tacqueria Lower East Side.  The elotes was a corn dish of hominy and mixed with yellow and white corn with pico de gallo.  Again, a standard corn dish but I wasn't getting that biting fresh feeling from it, plus I find hominy a bit dry and boring to eat. 

All in all, it was a standard meal but the Tuesday Taco special does make it at least worth a try while downing margaritas on a lazy Tuesday.  As for the service, it was definitely a bit lacking.  Jill had to order a margarita about 1,000 times and when I had asked for my 2nd one, it took forever to come out that by the time it arrived everyone had already finished their food and drink so I had to chug it which I wasn't really happy about.  Total bill:  $44/pp with tax, tip and drink

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: