Sunday, June 22, 2014

Bistro du Coin Visited 6/8/2014 2 Forks

Bistro du Coin 1738 Connecticut Ave NW, Washington, DC 20009


I've never done real brunch in DC before so I was excited to give it at try with some friends who had just moved to the area.  I usually either to go my usual dim sum or pho in the burbs but this time I was meeting up with my friends in Dupont Circle and they picked a place that was within walking distance to their new digs. The place is a cute French bistro and had a great sounding menu - lots of different kind of egg dishes and lots of steamed mussels - which is their signature dish.  Since it was still pretty early in the morning, I opted to not get mussels (although I was very tempted) and went with a traditional eggs benedict with smoked salmon ($15).  It comes with fries and a salad so I didn't feel the need to order any other sides with it. 

As most of you know one of my biggest pet peeves with restaurants, particularly places that serve brunch, is when they can't poach an egg correctly.  And dear lord, did this place totally fuck up the egg in a major way.  It wasn't just over cooked, it was a down right hard boiled egg - to the point where I actually could have scooped out the yolk and it would have come out in a hard yellow sphere.  I know I probably should have said something but I didn't want to cause a fuss and I just ate around the yolk as the rest of the dish was totally fine.  I looked to see if it was just my egg but it looked like everyone else had a similar yolk experience with varying degrees of hard boiled-ness.    There also wasn't enough hollandaise sauce on the benedict - although that is probably better for my healthy anyways.  The fries were nice and salty and that helped me get full off the dish.  I also thought the salad was way overdressed.  In the end, it didn't matter to me too much that the food wasn't great since I was really more there for the company and to catch up with some friends but if I ever did end up here again, I'm thinking I'll probably stick to the mussels - even if it is before noon.  My friends graciously treated me to lunch so I don't know what the total bill was. 
Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: