Saturday, June 21, 2014

Rappahannock Oyster Bar Visited 6/7/2014 4.5 Forks

Rappahannock Oyster Bar 1309 5th St NEWashington, DC 20002



Obsessed.  That's all I can say about this place.  Yes - it's in a totally hipster, bougie market called Union Market and I can see why people are kind of annoyed at all the expensive artisanal stuff in the market, but this restaurant was a big winner in my book.  It's a pretty casual place with some bar seating and a few table tops.  The menu is classic seafood as its best: full on raw bar, seafood chowders and then a few select fresh seafood dishes.  I also loved the fact that they had tons of local beers on tap, including one of my favorite local beers:  Flying Dog.  Now, since I am in Maryland, I know the crab cake ($16) will be amazing there, so there was no question in my mind what I was going to order.   But first, my mom and I split a raw dish of 6 oysters and 2 clams and they were all fabulous - they ranged from salty and briny to sweet and creamy.  They give you cocktail sauce, vinegar and horseradish and they were all great additives to the oysters.   I would have ordered more but since we knew the crab cake was coming and that we were considering snacking/nibbling on more food from other stalls, we refrained.  

On to the crab cake.  Now THIS is how you do a crab cake and this is why I will only eat crab cakes when I'm in Maryland or in the Metropolitan area.  It's pure delicious sweet crab meat with NO filler - which is exactly the way it should be.  There's no heavy breading or fried crap on the outside, it's just heavenly crab meat topped with a fantastic celery remoulade (it had a little spicy heat to it) and it's sitting on a bed celery root slaw.  I was a bit nervous about the celery slaw since I really hate celery, but even here was a wonderful and didn't really taste too strong of celery.   It was a nice side dish that added some crunchy texture to the crab cake.   It was simply fabulous.  I totally wished that I had ordered some of things off the menu like the chowder and steamers because I'm sure they would have been awesome too.  

If I lived near here, I would definitely be here every weekend - especially since they have $1 oyster happy hour.  Union Market itself does have a very hipster Brooklyn feel - so I did feel at home to a certain extent and I am such a totally sucker for these kinds of fancy food markets.   It's great places like this that make me think that maybe DC isn't such a bad place to!  Sorry I don't know what the total bill was since it was mom's treat. :)

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: