Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Battery Harris Visited 6/23/2014 3 Forks

Battery Harris 64 Frost St., BrooklynNY 11211



So I'll keep this review rather short since Battery Harris is really more of a bar than a restaurant.  Note, I'm also going to use the work "jerk" about 100 times in this review.  Paige and I had wanted to go there to watch the US vs. Portugal game on Sunday but all the tables were reserved and the only available space was near a tiny TV, so we left.   But I had put it on my mental list of places to come back to because of it's fantastic outdoor space. 

This place used to be the Brooklyn outpost of Lorely until it closed recently.  The new space was left relatively untouched from the previous tenants which was great since the outdoor beer garden was really perfect the way it was.  The food and drinks at Battery Harris have a Jamaican/Caribbean vibe to it, which is not something you really see much of in Williamsburg.  The menu has a lot of jerked food such as jerk wings, jerk pork buns, jerk calamari and jerk chicken and other interesting dishes like pulled oxtail hoagie and coconut curry mussels.  The night I was there they actually had a crawfish boil going on that night.  I opted for the jerk chicken sandwich ($14) which came with jerk dusted fries.  The sandwich is quite hefty - it was served with a lot of corriander slaw as well as slices of sweet plantains inside (which was a nice treat).  I usually expected jerk chicken to be more shredded with tons of sauce on it but this one was more like sliced chicken and it didn't have a lot of sauce on it.  I've been to Jamaica before and had amazing jerked chicken chock full of flavor and this one was not quite the same but not too bad for a casual night out.  The fries tasted like it had a sprinkling of cinnamon and sugar on it, so it had a sweet angle to it vs. being a savory side dish.  

While my sandwich wasn't mind blowing, I liked the vibe and space of this place enough to definitely be up for coming back for drinks and obviously whenever there are drinks, there is always food involved.   I might even get the oxtail hoagie next time.  Total bill:  $32/pp with tax, tip and several beers

Photo Credit:  Yelp  

No comments: