Monday, July 7, 2014

Suzume Visited 6/22/2014 4 Forks

Suzume  545 Lorimer St., BrooklynNY 1121



Even though Paige and I had already had dinner at Zona Rosa, we thought it would be a good idea to have a 2nd dinner at Suzume for more drinks and more snacks.  I'll be honest that I a bit drunk at this point, so the review might be slightly skewed.  Paige had told me about this place multiple times but every time I looked at the menu, I just never felt compelled to go.  It's not quite a sushi place and not quite a ramen place.  It was kind of a mish-mosh of stuff.  But I figured since it was on my way home, it was worth checking out. 

As I mentioned the menu is a bit weird.  They have 3 different types of sushi and 5 different kinds of funky rolls but they don't have a full blown sushi menu.  There's also 4 different kinds of tacos and then 2 kinds of ramen and then a few other Hawaiian style snacks like spam masubi.  Since we didn't want a full blown dinner, we got the peashoot bok choy salad ($6) and then the salmon poke, tuna poke and spicy scallop sushi ($3.50 per piece).  I was a bit unsure about the salad but it was actually quite refreshing and a great healthy snack after our tequilla and tacos.  It was lightly dressed with the right amount of flavor and balance to the vegetables.  The sushi was chunks of fish on a bed of rice and then wrapped with seaweed - so similar to the type of sushi you get when you order the salmon roe pieces.  I didn't know what to expect, but it was surprisingly good and delicious.  It was a bit unusual in that the salmon poke is served with a ramp vinaigrette and the tuna was served with sweet onion and chili oil but they all worked really well together and the bits of fish were clean and fresh.   I didn't have any of the ramen there and while it got mixed reviews on Yelp, I would go back and at least try it out.

As a fair warning, this place is most definitely crawling with hipsters and it's most definitely not as authentic as Okonomi down the street, but none the less it was definitely a surprising treat for me.  The one part that does kind of suck is that it's cash only.  Total bill:  $25/pp with tax, tip and drinks

Photo Credit:  Yelp

No comments: