Friday, July 11, 2014

Bostwick's Chowder House Visited 6/28/2014 4 Forks

Bostwick's Chowder House 277 Pantigo Rd., East HamptonNY 11937



Ahh, now this is what I was thinking of when I visited the Hamptons.  One of my favorite things in life is a seafood shack and this one did not disappoint.  It's still the Hamptons afterall, so it's not a total run down shack but it did have a rugged mom and pop feel to it.  The place was packed, so we waited in the lovely garden out back where they have a "drive up" window where you can order drinks and hang out. 

Once inside,  I was totally overwhelmed with my options: steamers, clams, raw bar, chowder, crab cakes, lobsters, fried everything, fish tacos made with poke, lobster tacos, and then of course every kind of seafood in roll formation - lobster, clam, oyster, crab, and flounder.  I literally thought my heart was going to explode with excitement.   What's even better is the total lack of formality here,  everything is served in paper and plastic plates and containers (yes - a bit wasteful for the environment) which I just prefer to the white table cloth environment.  After carefully evaluating my options, I decided on the lobster bisque ($7.95) and the girls and I split the steamers and I had to get the lobster roll with a side of potato salad.  

The bisque was quite nice although I'll be honest I wish it had more lobster in it (I mean, you can't ever have enough lobster), but it was a solid start to the meal.  Next came the steamers and it's been a while since I've had steamers and I forgot how much I enjoy them.  Although I get why they may not be everyone's cup of tea because of the sandiness and the texture, I was really happy with this dish.  They give you both a delicious bowl of butter and the hot broth to dip it in, which is the best part of the dish. 



Next came the lobster roll and it was a doozy. It was one of the fullest lobster rolls I've seen in a long time.  They most certainly did not skimp on the lobster meat here - it was packed to the brim.  It was the Maine type of roll with the mayo mixed in it.   It was fantastic with only a few comments.  I hate celery and there was too much of it in the mixture and secondly, it was a bit too chopped up.  I would have loved to had bigger chunks of lobster versus the chopped/shredded consistency here.  One of the great things about lobster is biting into a big juicy piece of the claw or tail but I'm not going to complain too much here since I really did enjoy the roll. 

Overall, I was a huge fan of this place - even though it is also a place apparently visited by celebrities.  I can see how it could be a local scene but it's a scene that I would most definitely welcome.   It's most definitely a place that I hope to come back to whenever I find my way back to the Hamptons.  As for the other dishes, they all looked wonderful, especially the tuna poke tacos.  I wish they offered a poke only dish but it only came in taco form which I think isn't the ideal way to serve poke, but I'm sure it was still delicious.  Total bill:  $49/pp tax and tip

No comments: