Sunday, July 13, 2014

Old Stove Pub Visited 6/29/2014 4 Forks

Old Stove Pub 3516 Montauk Hwy, BridgehamptonNY 11932



I was totally shocked when I read all these awful reviews about this place on Yelp that it made me wonder if I ate at a totally different place.  After reading a few more reviews, it sounds like there was management change in the past few years, but even so, unless I was totally delusional, I actually quite enjoyed my dinner there.  It might have been because we went really early and we opted for the very affordable prix fixe dinner whereas most of the negative reviews seemed to focus on how expensive it was, the bad steak and poor service.

Virginia, Christine and I stopped by this place on the way home from East Hampton knowing that we would get stuck in bad traffic on the way home.  Originally, I had assumed that this place would serve typical pub food like burgers and fries.  I mean it's called the Old Stove Pub from Christ sakes!  But lo and behold, it was actually Greek food.  Who knew?  During the summer, they have a great prix fixe deal of $29 that included a salad, appetizer, entree and dessert.  Considering most of the entrees are in the $25+ range, it's a great deal even if you can't eat all the food.  Instead of all of us getting the prix fixe meal, we opted to split one of the deals and then added on a few extras to round out the meal.  For the prix fix, we got the classic Greek Salad, the grape leaves, gyro entree with fries, and then added on the 3 dip combination ($18), the spanikopita ($14) and the saganaki ($11).  As you can see from the extras that we ordered, it can be pricey ordering individual dishes.

As I've mentioned many times before, I am a huge sucker for Greek food and I thought the food here was great with the exception of the saganaki - which I generally am not a huge fan of because if you let it sit for a while, it just gets hard, coagulated and just unappealing.  The Greek salad had tons of red, ripe fresh tomatoes, local cucumbers and a nice giant square of feta cheese.  Delicious.  The dips were your classic tzatziki (which I would slather on top of anything and everything), a roasted red pepper dip and an eggplant dip.  It was served with warm pita and it was fantastic.  The grape leaves were tasty and also a great add for the table.   Next I tried the spanikopita which had a nice flakey outside and a rich filling of spinach, onions and cheese.  Finally, I tried the gyro - which was served with a pita wrap but with all the other carb heavy things on the table and the fries that it came with, there was no way I was going to actually eat it like a gyro sandwich.  The couple of slices of meat I had was flavorful and it was topped with tons of tzatziki and red onion.  The fries were also thick and crispy and I couldn't stop eating them with the dips even though I really wanted to. 

In the end, we were so full that we just asked for the bill without even asking about the dessert that came with the prix fix meal.  The one fun thing about our meal was that it was the same time as the Greece World Cup game and it was a lot of fun to watch the staff and management be so into the game - and yes, plates were broken when they lost the game.  Judging from all the bad reviews I read on Yelp, it sounded like most people didn't order Greek food or maybe that was from before they changed management?  But in any case, I would just say, if you're in a Greek restaurant, it's probably best to stick to Greek food and you'll be fine.  Total bill:  $27/pp with tax and tip

Photo Credit:  Facebook

No comments: